16 | Loose Ends

~ Hogwarts, Dumbledore's Office

Hermione was praying that Dumbledore had some good news to share with her. His breathtaking phoenix patronus had woken her in the early hours of the morning, requesting her presence at Hogwarts. Peter had officially disappeared for 24 hours now, and no one in the Order had heard any news from him. Despite the precautions Moody had taken to redo the wards on all Order safe houses, there was still too much valuable information that Peter could go spilling.

Hermione stepped through the Floo, determined to start the day productively. "Good morning, Prof-"

She froze halfway out of the fireplace, startled by the sight before her. Dumbledore was standing in front of his desk, leaning back on it casually. But that wasn't what halted Hermione in her footsteps. Standing near him with a familiar face of indifference was a much younger version of the professor who'd always made her feel like something at the bottom of his shoe.

In a way that actually reminded her of Draco Malfoy, the reclusive man in a black overcoat sneered at her when he caught her staring at him slack-jawed.

"Ah, Hermione. Good you're here," Dumbledore greeted calmly.

"Professor..." Hermione said, edging forward hesitantly. "What is he doing here?"

"Well he is the one who got me the diary," Dumbledore said patiently.

Severus Snape's eyes flashed dangerously as he rounded them on Dumbledore. "What do you think you're doing," he said tightly.

"Severus, meet Hermione Granger. Hermione, I believe you already know Severus." Dumbledore said, his amusement clear as day.

Snape opened his mouth indignantly. "You swore you wouldn't tell anyone-"

Hermione's eyes widened in alarm. "Professor, is it really smart to tell him my true identity-"

"Stop!" Dumbledore commanded firmly, making them both shut their mouths immediately. "We have a lot to clear up so let me make things simple. You will both need to trust each other because I can assure you that you're both on the same side."

"But my memories-" Hermione argued.

"Miss Granger," Dumbledore began patiently. "I did look over your memories, and I must admit at first I was alarmed. But I noticed something you might have missed that year."

Hermione watched him expectantly.

"The curse on my hand was likely one severe enough to be slowly draining my life force. I was probably already dying by the time everything you remember occurred, and to be honest, it seems like something I would've orchestrated beforehand."

"You were already dying?" Hermione whispered in horror.

Dumbledore nodded at her sadly. "Which is why I must thank you for warning me about the ring in advance this time. I admit, I would've been too distracted to be cautious."

Hermione's eyes swung the to the young Severus Snape. "But that means Snape..."

"Yes, Severus was loyal to the Order the entire time." Dumbledore confirmed.

"What in Merlin's name is going on," Severus said in a surprisingly impatient tone, quite unlike the stoic professor Hermione had known. "Do I even know her? And what memories are you talking about?"

"Severus, Miss Granger is referring to your future actions, which have proven that you do in fact remain loyal to the Order even years into the future, and that you can indeed be trusted now."