23 | House of Black

I apologize for the unanticipated hiatus, life has gotten busy with work and uni and I was a bit unsure of how best to continue this story. But nonetheless, I plan to finish all my stories regardless of how much time it takes!

Thank you to all my faithful readers who checked in from time to time with the surprise review/comment even after months of not updating- even when I'm burnt out and exhausted, you guys motivate me to write.

~silverstorme

~o~o~o~

Moody moved swiftly in the days following the raid on the McKinnons, quickly taking advantage of the Death Eaters' vulnerability since Snape had taken out some of their more loyal and senior members. The Potters were ecstatic when Dumbledore informed them their victories included regaining control of multiple strong holds and territories- including Potter Manor. Dumbledore himself took the duty of immediately placing the manor under the Fidelius Charm, this time making James himself the secret-keeper.

Lily was absolutely thrilled. As much as she loved Potter Cottage, she missed the centuries old magic pulsing within the walls of the manor, and she wanted nothing more than to raise her children in those walls. And it certainly helped that they no longer needed to stay at Headquarters.

Needless to say, Lily had practically dragged Hermione with them when they shifted to their family home. Hermione had insisted that she was fine staying at the Burrow and didn't want to intrude. James had smirked at her with no mercy, casually informing her of the obscenely large manor that would allow all of them plenty of space with no intrusion whatsoever.

When they'd first apparated Hermione just beyond the boundaries of the Fidelius Charm, she'd tensed up. Last time she visited a grand, pureblood manor, she'd lost everything. She didn't know if deciding to live in one was the best idea for her sanity. But her nerves were immediately put to rest when she passed the warm barrier from the charm, and the view of James' ancestral home became clear. While every bit as grand as Malfoy Manor, Potter Manor was light and welcoming in a way the place from her nightmares simply wasn't. The grey stone walls weren't nearly as intimidating, and the grounds were bursting with gorgeous fountains, gardens, and scuttling wildlife.

It was another morning of blessed peace that found Hermione sitting in the huge kitchen with the Potters and their children. In their efforts to regain the kitchen from the house elves, who'd been horrified when their mistress said she wanted to cook breakfast, James asked them to go straighten up the grounds which were nothing short of extensive.

Hermione was sitting at the counter, closely watching over Harry and Neville. But the boys were eagerly watching as Lily tried to cook them all breakfast while swatting away James every time he'd try to "taste" something ahead of time.

"You'll finish all the food before it's even done cooking," Lily tried to scold, but Hermione could see the grin tugging at her mouth.

"Lil, we have plenty of food," James pointed out goofily.

"Sit," she commanded him.

"I'm not the dog, Sirius is," James blew a raspberry at her.

It was like James summoned his friend with his words because Lily didn't even have the chance to respond before they heard a panicked voice calling for James. His ears immediately perked up.

"Is that-" Lily murmured.

"Sirius," James confirmed in concern. "In the kitchen, mate," he called out loudly.

Sirius burst through the doors, his chest heaving breathlessly. He looked tousled with his hair flying in different directions and his shirt untucked, cuffed, and unbuttoned just one button too many.