09 | Setting A Rat Trap

~ Potter Cottage

It couldn't have been more than a few hours later, but they were all still waiting tensely at Potter Cottage. Sirius had left for Gringotts without any plan on how to get in without making a fuss or on how to find the Horcrux. Granted he was still a Black, and he should be able to get into the bank without any problems.

"Are you sure they won't ambush him?" Hermione asked for the tenth time.

"Hermione," Lily soothed sympathetically. "It isn't that chaotic out there."

"She's right, Miss Granger." Dumbledore assured. "Voldemort may be powerful in this time, but he doesn't have complete control like he did in your time. He has spies everywhere, yes. But they haven't taken over yet."

"Right... right..." Hermione muttered, still uneasy.

James was hunched over with his elbows on his knees, focused on his twiddling hands, and thinking about Godric knows what. Remus had drifted off soon after Lily snuck him a Dreamless Sleeping draught. She'd insisted he didn't know when to rest for his own good.

Remus actually looked quite peaceful as he slept. While he looked less haggard and much younger than the Professor she'd met back in her third year, the faded scars she'd first seen were angrier and fresher now. Probably from his work with the packs.

The air shifted for a split second before the loud crack of apparition struck their ears. Sirius swayed unsteadily on his feet at the center of the living room, prompting James to his feet.

"Sirius!"

"I'm okay, I'm good," he said, regaining his balance. "I got it." He triumphantly pulled a small golden cup from within the folds of his coat.

Upon closer inspection, Hermione could see a small badger on the side of the cup. "The cup of Hufflepuff!"

"Yes," he confirmed.

Sirius held it out to Dumbledore, eager to get it off his hands.

"Well done, Mr. Black!"

Sirius merely nodded, shrugging his coat off. That's when they noticed it.

"Sirius, what is that?" Lily cried in alarm. His neck and parts of his jaw were showered in small nicks and cuts.

"Ah, these?" He asked lightly, rubbing the back of his neck. "There was a protection charm on the vault, but I got out of it."

"But-"

"I'm fine, Lily, they're just scratches."

"At least let me heal them," she pleaded.

"I've got it, but thank you little Red," he said affectionately, mussing her hair.

"Well then, I'll get these back to Hogwarts," Dumbledore informed them.

"Thank you, Professor," Hermione said.

"Oh Miss Granger, Halloween is nearing. Perhaps it will be best for us to discuss your plans for Pettigrew soon."

Everyone went eerily still at Dumbledore's statement, as if they'd forgotten that their friend is meant to betray them.

"Right, Professor." Hermione's dislike for Pettigrew was overpowered by her sympathy for the Marauders, who all still seemed to be avoiding facing the truth.

James levitated a still sleeping Remus, guiding him up the staircase to one of their guest rooms. Lily looked hesitantly between him and Sirius, who'd quietly wandered into the kitchen. Hermione shot her a small smile, heading after Sirius herself, leaving Lily to help James.