Juicy Mummy and Black Book

Iris' POV

We're back in the chamber under the legs of Anubis. John and Ric have moved the coffin so it's leaning against the wall. We're opening it today, my very first mummy. This is so exciting. Though the three adults are acting weird. "I can't believe I allowed the two of you to get me drunk" Evie groans.

"What's drunk?" I ask confused.

"Hopefully something you never experience" she tells me.

"Same, I don't even remember being there" John adds.

"Well neither do I, thank you" Evie states.

"You don't?" Ric asks her and she looks at him confused.

"No... Why?... Should I?" she asks him.

"Gee, yeah, you told me it was the best time you ever had" Ric grumbles. O'Connell gives her a big cheesy smile. While Evie's face drops, appalled and embarrassed. And that's when the lid falls off and loudly crashes to the ground. All three of them instantly grab their sore heads and moan.

"What's wrong?" I ask them confused.

"Nothing, you need to worry about" Evie states. She looks at the stone sarcophagus excited. "Oh my god, I've dreamed about this ever since I was a little girl" she tells us.

"Well I am a little girl" I tell her giggling and she tickles my sides.

"You dream about dead guys?" Ric asks Evie. She just gives him a look, then starts brushing dirt and cobwebs off the top of the coffin. Then she freezes. I look at it and realized why she stopped.

"Look, all the sacred spells have been chiseled off. The hieratics and hieroglyphs that protect the deceased on his journey into the afterlife, they've been removed. This man was cursed,... doomed" she explains to the others.

"Definitely naughty" I state.

"Tough break" Ric says.

"Yes, I'm all tears, now let's see who's inside, shall we?" John asks us. I look up at Evie warily. I'm not sure I want to see the the mummy anymore. I grip her hand and she pulls me close.

Jonathan inserts the key into the coffin's lock. Turns it. The lid cracks open with a hiss. We all cover our noses at the foul stench. Then O'Connell grabs the lid. It's stuck. He pulls with all his might. Jonathan starts to help him.

It starts to give way, slowly. Slowly. Slooooowly. Then it suddenly pops open and the most hideous, maggot infested, rotten corpse imaginable jumps up. We all scream and I bury my head into Evie's side scared. "God, I hate when those things do that" Evie retorts.

"It's ok Iris, he's dead" John assures me.

"Is he supposed to look like that?" Ric asks us. I pull away from Evie and look at the mummy. Then frown in confusion.

"No. I've never seen a mummy look like this. He's, he's still..." Evie pauses trying to find the right word.

"Juicy" I tell her.

"Yes. He's more than four thousand years old and still decomposing" Evie explains.

"Look at this" Ric says pointing to the lid. The adults look at it while I continue to look at the mummy bewildered. Something about him seems familiar and I keep thinking about my uncle's story about the cursed priest. But that was just a story, this can't be him. Can it?