Dr Bey and Ardeth Bay

Iris' POV

We reached the museum safely and head for Dr Terrence Bey's office. "There's only one person I know that can possibly give us any answer" Evie tells the men. We enter the office to see one of the black robed men talking to Dr Terrence. "You!" Evie exclaims pulling me into her arms as the men point their guns at the man.

"Miss Carnahan, Iris, Gentlemen" Dr Bey says polity.

"What's he doing here?" Evie demands.

"Do you really want to know, or would you prefer to just... shoot us?" Dr Bey asks her.

"After what I just saw, I'm willing to go on a little faith here" Rick states holstering his gun. The others do the same. We go to another room and sit down. Dr Bey introduces the other man as Ardeth Bay, leader of the Medjai. I'm holding the cat patting it.

"We are part of an ancient secret society. For over three thousand years we have guarded the City of the Dead. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the High Priest Imhotep from being reborn into this world" Dr Bey explains.

"And now because of you, we have failed" Ardeth adds.

"We're sorry" I tell them.

"And you think this justifies the killing of innocent people?" Evie demands.

"To stop this creature? Let me think" Dr Bey muses.

"Yes!" he and Ardeth says together.

"Okay, let's cut to the chase. He's afraid of cats, what's that about?" Rick asks them.

"According to the ancients, cat's are the guardians at the gates of the underworld. Imhotep will fear them until he is fully regenerated, and then he will fear nothing" Dr Bey explains.

"Does that mean kitty can stay with us?" I ask Jonathan and he nods his head. I smile happily.

"Right! And ya know how he gets fully regenerated?!" Daniels demands.

"By killing everybody who opened that chest" Henderson says playing with his gun. 

"And sucking us dry! That's how!" Daniels shouts.

"Gentlemen please, there is a child present" Evie tells them.

"The creature must first try and regenerate, and then he will attempt to resurrect the one he has loved for more than three thousand years" Dr Bey states.

"Anck-Su-Namun" Evie and I say.

"When I saw him alive at Hamunaptra, he called me Anck-Su-Namun and Iris Tzipporah. And just now when we were at Mr. Burn's quarters he tried to take Iris" Evie explains.

"It's because of his love for Anck-Su-Namun that he was cursed. Apparently, even after 3000 years" Dr Bey says.

"He's still in love with her" Ardeth finishes.

"Yes, that is very romantic, but what has it got to do with me? Or Iris?" Evie asks them.

"Perhaps he will once again try to raise her from the dead. This time along with her little sister" Ardeth says.

"Yes. And it appears he has already chosen his human sacrifices" Dr Bey says looking at Evie and I.

"Bad luck, old mum" Jonathan says.

"Well he's not touching ever of them" Rick adds. We say goodbye to Dr Bey and Ardeth. We go back to the hotel with the cat.

"We must stop him from regenerating. Who opened that chest?" Evie asks the Americans.

"Well, there was me and Daniels here. And Burns, of course" Henderson says.

"And that Egyptologist fella" Daniels adds.

"What about my buddy Beni?" Rick asks them.

"Nah, he scrammed out of there before we opened the damn thing" Henderson tells him.

"Yeah, he was the smart one" Daniels grumbles.

"Yeah...that sounds like Beni" Rick mutters.

"We must find the Egyptologist and bring him back to the safety of the fort before the creature can get to him" Evie states. I yawn and snuggle into the couch more.

"Right, they stay here" Ric states pointing to Evie and I. "You three come with me" he tells Jonathan and the Americans. They all start to protest. Rick throws Evie over his shoulder and carries her to the bedroom. Tossing her on the bed and locks her in.

"This door doesn't open. She doesn't come out and no one goes in. Right?" he asks Daniels. Who agrees. "Right?" he asks Henderson, who also agrees. Rick gives Daniels the keys. "Iris get some sleep, we'll be back soon" he tells me. "Let's go, Jonathan" he tells my brother.

"Er, well, I thought I could just stay at the fort, and er...reconnoite" Jonathan tries to protest.

"Now!" Rick says firmly.

"Yeah, right" Jonathan says getting up. "We're just going to rescue the, er, Egyptologist" he tells me and the Americans. Before leaving. I lay down on the couch with the cat. Daniels covers me with his coat.

"Everything will be ok kid, just sleep" he tells me. I nod my head and doze off. The cat beside me under the coat hidden from view.

A/N

Picture above of Dr Bey with Ardeth Bay and picture on the external link of Henderson with Daniels.