10: Worship of Salaf (Part Four)

4. Husn adh dhan: (Thinking good about others)

It comes as no surprise that our pious predecessors were not only excellent in terms of worship through limbs but also of the heart. They were people who always assumed the best of others.

Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab said:
"Do not think about a word that exits from a Muslim's mouth except that you interpret it in the best manner."
(Ameelah of Al-Muhaamilee, p.395)

'Abdullaah Ibn Muhammad Ibn Manaazil said:
"The believer seeks excuses for his brothers, and the hypocrite seeks the mistakes for his brothers."
(Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197)

Muhammad Ibn Sireen said:
"If something reaches you about your brother, then search for an excuse for him. If you do not find an excuse for him, then make an excuse for him."
(Al-Jaami' Li Shu'ab Al-Eemaan, 14/441)

Ja'far Ibn Muhammad said:
"If something that you dislike reaches you about your brother then search for one excuse for him up to seventy excuses. If it hits the mark, (then good). If not, then say, 'Perhaps he has an excuse that I am not aware of."
(Al-Jaami' Li Shu'ab Al-Eemaan, 14/442)

Muhammad Ibn Sireen used to say:
"We used to say that those amongst us with the most sins are those who spend their time talking about the sins of others."
(Al-Ikhwaan Of Ibn Abi Dunyaa, p. 55)

Abu Haatim said:
"Probing and seeking the faults of others is from the branches of hypocrisy just like thinking good of others is from the branches of faith. The intelligent one always has a good opinion of his brothers and keeps his grief and sadness to himself. As for the ignorant one, he has an evil opinion of his brothers and does not think about his crimes and distress."
(Siyar A'lam an-Nubalaa)

Abu Ja'far Muhammad Ibn 'Alee said:
"It is a sufficient portion of defect for a person to clearly see from the people [of mistakes and shortcomings] that which he is blind of from his own self."
(Al-Hilyah, 3/188)

Abdullah Ibn Abbas said:
"When you feel the need to mention your companion's faults, remember your own."
(Al-Adab Al Mufrad)

Sufyaan ath-Thawri said:
"Keep yourself busy in remembering your faults, so that you have no time left to remember the faults of others."
(Al-Ikhwaan Of Ibn Abi Dunyaa, p. 55)

Constantly thinking about a person's blunders and mistakes, eventually makes us speak about them or sometimes even mock, which then can have disastrous consequences; especially if the said person has repented from it.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:
"Whoever mocks his brother for a sin they repented from will not die until he himself falls into the same sin."
(Madaarij vol 1 p. 177)

The Salaf recognized that as human beings, people are imperfect and that the best action for a believer to do in terms of it, is to cover their fault and advise them in private, far from people's scrutiny.

Fudayl Ibn 'Iyaḍ said:
"Whoever seeks a brother without faults would never have a brother to be his friend."
(Rawdatul 'Uqaalaa, p. 169)

Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Taimiyyah said:
"Some people have the disease of criticizing all the time. They forget the good about others and only mention their faults. They are like flies that avoid the good and pure places and land on the bad and wounds. This is because of the evil within the self and the spoiled nature."

Hasan said:
The believer is the mirror of his brother, if he sees something that he is not pleased with, he straightens it out and adjusts it, and protects his honor in private and public."

Bakr Ibn 'Abdillaah Al-Muzanee said:
"Treat your brothers well despite their shortcomings that they have, just as you like for them to treat you [well] despite the shortcomings that you have. Everyone that you see making a mistake or mishap should not fall from your sight, for surely you are most deserving of this yourself."
(At-Tawbeekh of Abush Shaykh, p.54)

Ibn al-Qayyim is reported to have said:
Allāh is towards you as you are towards Him and His servants.
(al-Wabil as-Sayyib, p. 80)

Abdullah Ibn Al-Mubaarak said:
"Whenever a man would see something from his brother that he dislikes, he would give him orders in private and forbid him in private. Conversely, he would be rewarded for him screening his brother and also rewarded for forbidding evil. As for today, whenever a man sees what he dislikes he angers his brother and unveils his screen."
(Raudatul 'Uqaalaa, p. 197)

Fudayl Ibn 'Iyaad said:
"The believer screens and gives sincere advice and the wicked evildoer unveils and exposes."
(Jaami'ul 'Uloom Wal-Hikam, p.77)

At the same time, the Salaf were people of balance. They also recognized that sometimes people needed time and privacy in order to realize and amend their actions on their own.

Abū Haatim said:
"Rebuking a person's for their every mistake, even minor ones, constantly, will lead to the love diminishing."
(Rawdhah, p. 182)

May Allah enable us to be among those who are well-balanced and have the best of character. Aameen.