Back To The Start

"I don't love you," the words rolled out of your tongue, as clear and as cold ice, there was no need for an explanation.

You had to convince yourself that you didn't love Lena, so you lied to her, like everyone else that she had loved before has.

It felt cruel, there was no hesitation in your voice, no sign of guilt or reluctance... not even a single blink of an eye as you shattered what was left of Lena's heart.

"I never loved you and I never will,"

You could see the tears in her eyes which threatened to spill, how her eyes seemed polished, shining with tears, reflecting your retreating figure, your back facing her as you walked towards the door. "You don't mean that..." you don't miss the tremble in her voice, and she was right, she's always right. "Please, Y/N, love... don't leave me, Y/N, PLEASE!"

you love her... you've always loved her and you always will.

but for now you have to let her go, for now, it's the right thing to do.

even if it destroyed your soul to do so.

between you and her, she has and always will choose you, but right now she has to choose herself.

for once Lena has to choose herself and if this was the only way then so be it.

this is only temporary... like all things.

so you shut the door and you left.

you ignore her pleas, practically screaming at you to not leave her... it felt cruel... every single fibre of your being was begging you to go back, begging you to not do this, what kind of person were you to leave someone you loved and has loved you so dearly? someone who had gone through hell and back just for you and still, you were able to break their heart in such a manner.

you left, you lied.

and you never said goodbye.