Catcall

Growing up a girl, no one had ever prepared my ears to be intruded with such vile words. No one told me that one day, multiple voices would pollute my brain with indecent language. No one told me certain eyes would pierce my body as I walk down the street. No one taught me how to react or handle a situation that made me uncomfortable. No one taught me what to do if just walking away with your head down doesn't work. But why is this even a daily problem for women in the first place? Why is this a topic that is barely talked about? Sometimes I think that people don't realize this doesn't just happen to adults but young girls too. Cat-called since the age of 13 and I still shudder in discomfort as each letter of their words creep into my ears. It's gotten to a point where I feel like I've heard every single inappropriate comment. To the ones that are meant to be "compliments", to the ones coated in anger and frustration. All these situations shape my mind into staying cautious. Now restricting myself from wearing my favourite dress in certain areas out of fear of another grown man looking at me like I'm his next meal. Just to only learn that it's not the clothes that attract their eyes, for even my schoolgirl kilt couldn't save me.