What Should We Do?

The next day, Tsugumi decided to call a meeting with everyone. But, Ran never showed up. They waited for a while, but it didn’t appear as though she would be coming anytime soon. She wouldn’t answer her phone when they started texting her.

“Should we go check on her?” Tomoe asked.

“This is normal behavior for her, though. I don’t think we need to worry too much.” Himari replied.

“She knows what this meeting is about, right? And she doesn’t want to come because of that.” Moca guessed as she looked at Tsugumi.

Tsugumi hesitantly nodded. She had hoped their conversation would’ve convinced her to open up with everyone, but it appeared that wasn’t the case. She regretted letting Ran go home. She could've forced her to talk if she had slept over.

“Well, what did you wanna talk about then?” Tomoe asked.

All eyes made their way to Tsugumi. She nervously gulped. What should she say and what shouldn’t she say? She promised Ran not to mention what had happened the previous night, but maybe it would be best she did tell them some of it. Tsugumi didn’t know what to do about that.

“Well… we talked yesterday and… she said the bullying is still happening and that it’s getting worse.” Tsugumi started off. She was safe to talk about that stuff.

“How much worse?” Moca questioned.

“She said they’ve gotten physical now.” Tsugumi explained, “And, apparently the school isn’t doing anything.”

“We really need to find these people and give them a whack over their heads.” Himari grumbled.

“Is that all?”

This was where things got difficult. Should she tell them? What if that broke the trust Ran had in her? She didn’t want that, but things were getting out of hand. What if Ran got hurt or hurt someone because of this? Would she be to blame for not telling?

“I… I promised her I wouldn’t tell… so, please don’t mention this to her.” Tsugumi said, deciding what she would do, “She’s… not been using the best coping methods…”

“What has she been doing?” Tomoe asked, a bit of an accusatory tone coming into her voice.

“Tomoe, calm down. I’m sure it’s nothing too bad.” Himari said.

Tsugumi didn’t think that statement was true. She knew they’d react badly to what she was going to say. She hesitated saying more. Tomoe was a little agitated right now. She might go and yell at Ran for it. That wasn’t what she wanted.

“What is she doing, Tsugu?” Moca prompted.

Tsugumi looked at her, a slight hint of worry on her face. She nodded to Tomoe, hoping to convey the message. Moca seemed to understand as she nodded.

“Tomoe, promise that you won’t go and confront Ran about whatever it is that Tsugu tells us.” Moca said as she clung onto one of Tomoe’s arms.

Tomoe didn’t say anything for a while, but eventually she muttered, “Fine… I won’t mention any of this to her.”

Once that was determined, everyone turned back to Tsugumi. She took a shaky breath. This was not going to be a good conversation, she just knew it.

“She’s been drinking.” Was all Tsugumi said.

"What!?" The other three all yelled collectively.

Tsugumi didn't know if telling them Ran's reasoning would make things better or worse. She decided it would probably make things worse so she kept quiet.