Nightmares

Ran's POV:

I opened my eyes to a familiar sight. Not a sight I ever wanted to see again, though. It was the orphanage. And it was on fire. I could hear the flames crackling as they lapped at the wooden structure.

I looked around. The room I was in was completely barren. There was no way out. And the fire was inside. I'm stuck in here.

What do I do? I need to get out. I can't stay here.

I was in the middle of the room. The fire was surrounding me. I couldn't go anywhere. What do I do? I'm gonna die!

I curled up into a ball onto the floor. I'm stuck. I can't do anything. I'm gonna burn. Tears were streaming down my face.

I was too scared to look around. I don't want to see anything. This is really scary. I can hear the fire crackling. It's getting closer. It won't be too much longer before it reaches me.

I was shaking. I'm terrified. What can I do? I don't want this. I need to get out. I just... don't know how to get out. There has to be a way. There has to.

I felt the fire touch me. I screamed in terror.

"Ran? Shh... it's okay..."

I opened my eyes. Tomoe was staring at me in concern. I was breathing heavily. That... that must've been a nightmare. Thank god it wasn't real...

I was crying. I tried to wipe away my tears. Tomoe pulled me into a hug. I clung to her. I was trying to be quiet.

"Are you okay?" Tomoe asked me.

I nodded. I couldn't find my voice to speak. My throat felt dry. I don't think I can speak right now.

"Did you have a bad dream?" Tomoe asked.

I nodded. Tomoe frowned. I refused to make eye contact. I feel bad about waking her up.

Why'd I have to have a stupid nightmare? Why couldn't I just sleep peacefully? I was fine until night. The other times I slept I had no issues at all. So why now?

"I'm sorry..." I cried.

"What are you apologizing for?" Tomoe asked.

"For waking you up..." I sniffled, "And for being such a crybaby."

"My mom always said that people who cry are strong. Because they're willingly to show people how they feel instead of hide their feelings." Tomoe said.

"You think I'm strong?" I didn't believe her at all. I'm not strong.

Tomoe nodded, "Yeah. I mean... look at how much you've gone through. And yet you're still here."

"I don't feel strong..." I whispered.

"You will." Tomoe stated.

I buried my head back into Tomoe's shirt. I felt her brush my hair. I closed my eyes. I'm going to try and sleep again. Hopefully I don't have another nightmare.

...

When I opened my eyes, I was back. It was almost the same scene as before. Except, there was a way out. There was an open door. I didn't have much time to get to it, though. The flames would soon cover the path.