Let's Start a Band

Ran's POV:

A few days had passed since the argument. They haven't brought up the topic since then. I apologized to them later that day through text. They forgave me without a moment of hesitation. Do I really deserve friends like them?

Unfortunately, because of my constant ditching, I was being punished. Our school had a culture festival coming up. I was forced to help the high schoolers set up. I was waiting for my partner to arrive. Apparently they were being punished for something as well.

It took a while, but I finally saw them. She glared at me as she approached. Of course. It's someone that doesn't like me. What was I expecting anyway? I should've seen this coming.

I'm sure all the bad kids hate my guts. I've gotten away with things they never could dream of. It's not my fault. I have an IEP. I get a bit of a leeway.

I don't like that I do, but what can I do. I'd have probably been expelled a long time ago without it. Because of my trauma and my triggers, I don't get in trouble for it if it's out of my control. If I started a fight, then yeah, I'd be in trouble. But, otherwise I can't or else the school will be sued.

"You're seriously my partner?" The girl spat at me.

"Yes. That I am." I replied blandly.

She glared at me, "I don't wanna work with you!"

"Too bad. We don't have a choice." I shot back.

"No one wants to work with a murderer!" The girl shoved me.

I caught myself before I fell. She called me a murderer. Just like all the other kids that hate me. She started calling me even more things. All the same things I hear already.

"Shut up." I growled.

"No. You can't tell me what to do." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"I said shut up!" I lunged and punched her across the face.

She cried out in pain. She started yelling for a teacher. This isn't good. I stood frozen in place as a teacher ran up to us. I'm in for it now. Maybe they'll expel me for this. Then what will I say to everyone?

"What's going on over here?" The teacher asked.

"She punched me." The girl pointed at me with a glare.

"Ran, I thought we-"

"Excuse me." Someone spoke up.

"What do you want?" The teacher looked over at the student.

"She started the fight." The girl said.

"Did she now? How many times will it take before you learn to stop. We're going to the principal now." The teacher drug off my attacker.

I looked over at the girl who had defended me, "T-thank you."

"I was just doing what was right. She started it. Why should you be the one punished for it?"

"What's your name?" I hesitantly asked.

"Yukina! There you are!" A new girl suddenly ran over to us and pulled the girl into a hug, "You vanished on me."

"Sorry." Yukina replied.

The new girl looked me over, "Where's your partner at?"

"Um… getting reprimanded." I hesitantly answered.

"Oh. Well, you can come work with us!" I was drug away, "My name's Lisa. What's yours?"

"R-Ran." She's very hyper.

"It's nice to meet you, Ran." Lisa smiled at me.

We ended up having to hang up banners. It wasn't very hard. I'm glad these two are nice. Though, would they be if they knew the truth? Would they treat me the same way? Or would they hate me too?

"So, why are you having to help?" Yukina broke the silence we had settled into.

"I… I haven't gone to class in a long time…" I mumbled.

"How come?" Lisa asked.

"I don't like my classmates. They hate me." I admitted. Would they laugh?

"I think you should try. Maybe you're wrong about how they'll treat you?" Lisa suggested, "I'm not saying they might not hate you, but maybe they won't be as aggressive as you think."

"I… I guess I can try again…" I agreed.

"That's the spirit!" Lisa patted me on the back.

She's strange. But, something about her is really helpful. I feel a bit more confident now. Maybe I can do this? I hope so.

Once school was over, me and my friends went to a cafe to hang out. We were all sitting at a table and talking. We each had drinks, but we're waiting on our food.

"So, are you going to go to class now? Don't want to repeat that punishment, right?" Tomoe questioned.

Of course. I knew they'd bring it up at some point. Why wouldn't they? I know they're just concerned about me. I shouldn't be mad. But, I feel a little mad.

"I'll try a day in class…" I mumbled.

"Yay!"

"Awesome!"

I felt my face turn red. Why are they being so happy? Is it really that big of a deal? I guess to them it is.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Ran." Himari rested a hand on my shoulder, "If anything happens, just tell us and we'll help you, alright?"

I nodded. I couldn't find my voice. I was embarrassed.

"U-um… I was thinking about… other things to help and um…" Tsugumi stammered, "Let's start a band!"

"Huh?" We all stared at her in surprise.

"U-um… I just thought… it would give us an excuse to be together more…" Tsugumi mumbled as she tried to shrink into the chair.

"But we don't know how to play anything." Himari protested.

"We could learn. Can't be that hard, can it?" Moca said.

"Tomoe is lucky… she already knows how to play…" Himari whined.

"I-I can play the piano. I could probably learn a keyboard easily." Tsugumi offered.

"Ooh, I wanna learn guitar." Moca piped up.

"I kinda want to learn bass." Himari admitted.

"Ran, you can be the singer!" Moca pointed at me with a goofy grin on her face.

"C-could I learn the guitar?" I quietly asked.

"You wanna sing and play guitar?" Everyone seemed surprised.

I nodded, "I see a lot of bands do it… so, I wanna try to then. If we're going to do this."

"Then that settles it. We're a band now!" Himari smiled and pumped her hands in the air.

A band… can we really do that? Yeah. I think we can. If it'll keep us close, I think we'll manage it. I'm kind of excited to see where we'll go with this.