Taken

Ran’s POV:

It had been about a week since I met Tomoe’s friends. I’ve gotten to know them a lot better. I really like them. They’re nice to me. They treat me like I’ve always been there with them. I like that. I don’t like being treated differently.

So far, it was still only Moca and Tomoe who knew the truth about me. I haven’t wanted to tell anyone else. I still don’t believe Tomoe. I don’t think I want them to know. Why would I want them to know? They might start treating me differently then. That’s the last thing I want.

I don’t need reassurance that I’m not messed up. I don’t need anyone to tell me that I’m normal. I don’t need that. I don’t.

It had been a rough week. Mom was working hard to get me into a school. I was way behind the other kids. I didn’t get much schooling at the orphanage. I was taught to read by the only nice worker there. And then she left. But, I think they made her leave because she was nice. All the others were really mean, especially to me. They hated me a lot.

We didn’t have a school there. Most of the kids weren’t normally old enough to start learning anything. And now, because of that, the school here won’t take me in. They don’t have a teacher that would be willing to work with me. I’ve been getting lessons from mom. Sometimes I’d watch Tomoe do her school work and see if I could understand any of it. Most of the time I couldn’t.

It was just another day. I was alone at the house. Tomoe had school. Ako was at someone else’s house. Dad had to go work. Mom was outside in the garden. I was sitting in the living room by myself. I was coloring. There wasn’t anything good on TV. I was bored.

Maybe I could go out and walk around? I mean, why wouldn’t I be? They let me and Tomoe go out by ourselves. Why wouldn’t I be allowed to go out by myself either? I guess it’s an odd time of day, though. But, I might ask. I need something better to do. And I know my way around some of the town now. I won’t get lost anymore.

I went outside and found mom in the garden. She smiled at me.

“Can I go out by myself? I’m bored here.” I asked nervously.

“I guess. Just don’t go too far, alright?” Mom said.

“Okay!” I nodded.

I went to the front of the house and tried to decide which way I wanted to go. I decided to go the normal route that Tomoe and I would walk down. I wasn’t going to go too far. But, there’s a really pretty house just up the street. I like all the flowers in the yard.

I stopped at the house and looked at it for a moment. I don’t want the people in the house to see me. I walked a little farther and made it to where there was a nice shaded spot. I sat down on the sidewalk and watched the few people out and about.

There weren’t a lot of people around. And before long, I was the only one out. I should probably go home. I don’t wanna be all alone out here. I stood up and started making my way back to my house. It still feels weird to call it home. But, I’m glad I have a place I can call home now.

I could see my house in the distance, when I suddenly was grabbed from behind. A hand went over my mouth to muffle my screams. I was picked up and carried away. I was fighting against the person as hard as I could. But, what could a kid do to an adult?

I was shoved into a car and something was tied around my mouth. Then, another cloth got tied over my eyes. I could feel the car moving. Where are they taking me? Why do they want me?

My arms and legs were soon tied together as well. I couldn’t move anything. I could make any noise either. I’m helpless. No one’s going to save me. I’m stuck. I’m going to die, aren’t I? They probably want to do bad things to me.