:Inject Me Sweetly: One

Start from the beginning

By the time I finished the disgusting bag of fruit the movie credits were rolling. The lights came on and people around me stood up, heading towards the exit. I took my time getting up and stretching, glad the horror flick was finally finished. Leah sighed contently from behind me.

"That was an awesome movie," she commented, turning to watch the credits. "Definitely got my adrenaline pumping. Perfect for Halloween night."

"It was horrifying," I responded in a flat voice, now making my way out of the aisle. "I'd rather be trick-or-treating right now!" This seriously was a waste of my Halloween night. "Why do you drag me to horror movies when you know I don't like them?"

Leah scoffed. "I don't drag you to every single horror movie..."

I gave her a flat stare. She grinned back at me sheepishly.

"Okay, maybe I do drag you to most of them," she admitted.

"Mostly all the vampire ones," Alli interjected, throwing her empty bag of popcorn into the trashcan by the theatre exit. "She makes me go to every single horror movie, so you should feel lucky Emily."

"The vampire ones are the worst ones," I muttered, pushing the theater door open and squinting at sudden brightness from the hallway lights. "You guys both know they scare me."

Leah rolled her eyes. "Yeah, and it's about time you got over that fear. You're seventeen, Em."

"You know what they say," I responded defensively, "you can't ever grow out childhood fears."

"Emily, watch out—"

Before Alli could finish her warning, I collided with something hard and nearly knocked it over. My hands grasped the cardboard before the cutout could fall over, and I set it back up straight. Sighing, I glanced at the cutout and nearly jumped a mile in shock. It was a cut out of the vampire from the movie we had just seen. I let out a ragged breath, putting my hand to my heart.

Leah and Alli started cracking up behind me, and I turned to glare at the pair. "It's not funny!"

"Sorry," Leah apologized, quieting her laughter. "But it actually is funny. It's such an ludicrous fear..."

"No it's not," I snapped.

"Vampires don't exist."

"So? It's still a scary thought!"

"You do understand I'm only trying to help you with your fear by taking you to movies like this, right?" Leah continued, brushing a lock of hair out of her face. "You must be the only person to have a serious fear of vampires."

"I think vampires could be scary," Alli pitched in, defending me. "I mean, in all the movies we watch the vampires kill everyone."

"That's because that's the best kind!" Leah argued. "Who'd want to see a movie about vampires falling in love with each other? We have movies that don't involve vampires for that."

 "But watching movies where everyone dies isn't really helping Emily's fear."

"As I said before, it's an irrational fear. Vampires. Don't. Exist."

"Hey, you can't even say that. You're afraid of aliens!"

"That's a legit fear," Leah huffed, crossing her arms. "Aliens are actually real. And when they come to abduct the non-believers, guess who's going to go first?"

"Vampires are as real as aliens," Alli muttered, rolling her eyes. "You don't see Emily forcing you to see Alien movies."

"Like I said, aliens and vampires are two different—"