Alec sounded less remorseful and this time I couldn't help but squirm, uncomfortable with his old ways of passing his time and amusing himself.

" It might be a good idea to say sorry about that," he went on, "especially since Rhys backed me up when the Bullets voted."

He threw the notepad on the coffee table and sat sideways to face me.

"Apologies apart, what else do you suggest?"

"Promises," I replied, putting at the back of my mind the fact that he hadn't penned down a third name yet.

"I won't give any I don't intend to keep," Alec said.

"And I don't want you to. I don't think the Bullets would want you to." I stressed. "But you have to make them some promises, assure them that if they allow you back on their land, it won't backfire on them."

"And here's my other problem: I can't promise them that."

"Then maybe you should start with a promise to yourself. Promise yourself that you'd be a better person so that you could then promise others the same."

Alec fell quiet again, his gaze on a cream-colored couch cushion before he suddenly reached for his glass and emptied it of the orange juice inside.

"Be back in a few." Alec said as he rose and headed for the bathroom. Maybe it was due to nature's call, but I suspected he needed some alone time. Alec wasn't used to confronting his feelings so this situation would be overwhelming for him. I felt bad for him and briefly entertained the idea of changing our topic of conversation to something lighter, but in the end, I decided against that.

I was here to help him, even if that meant making him uncomfortable.

"I offered to aid the Bullets financially," he said once back. Speaking about money seemed a lot easier for him that talking about apologies.

"But I think they'll only accept my money after I prove that I won't start World War III," he added. "So, I guess I'd begin with this." He lifted the notepad for emphasis before returning it to the table. "I'll visit Riley at the Milk & Cream since that's out of pack grounds and I'll ask Everett to arrange for Rhys and I to meet on neutral territory."

"Everett's bringing Ollie over the day after tomorrow, right?"

At the prospect of seeing his baby brother, Alec smiled, a gentle and tender curl of his lips that I had never seen on him before.

"Yeah. It's the first time Ollie would be coming to my penthouse."

"Are you going to hide the books?" I made sure to inject a teasing inflection into my question.

"What books?"

"The ones you have on raising kids."

"Oh, those." Alec waved his hand dismissively. "Luca brought them from somewhere."

I laughed at his reply, the explanation so ridiculous, it was obvious he wasn't even trying. That laugh prompted first a smile from Alec, then a chuckle, and then both of us were laughing, so hard that we woke our pets up. Bear bounced up cheerfully, happy that we were happy, while Luca shot us a lofty look, annoyed that we'd interrupted his nap.

The mood lightened considerably, to the point that when we got back to talking about his case, Alec's frame was looser, his determination outweighing his reluctance. We strategized, we ate more pizza, then we strategized some more until midnight had long passed and Bear and I got ready to depart.

Both Alec and Luca walked us to the door, Alec leaning on the wall next to the coat hanger from which I took my sports jacket off. I put the clothing on, my mind replaying the last few hours and I remembered the notepad with Riley and Rhys' names in it.

"How come you didn't write a third name?" I asked.

"No need." He shrugged and I frowned.

"There must be more than two people you want to apologize to."

"Want to?" Alec shook his head. "Need to? Yes. But I don't need to write a third name since I'll cross it off right away."

My frown deepened with confusion until he spoke again:

"I'm sorry, Adrian. For playing with you." His tone was even but sincere, his words catching me so off guard, all I could do was stare at him with my mouth open.

Alec pushed himself off the wall and stepped closer to me before continuing:

"I'm sorry for how that made you feel." He stopped right in front of me, so close that I could feel his body heat. "I'm not sorry for meeting you though. I'm really happy I did."

His last confession was spoken quietly as if the admission was even more difficult than the apology that preceded it.

The hallway was silent save for the harsh breath that escaped between my lips as Alec, still looking right into my eyes, reached out... And opened the door behind me.

"Text me when you get home?" He pleaded.

I gulped and wet my lips, my voice slightly hoarse:

"Yes... Yes, I will."

I drove home lightheaded and half-believing I'd dreamt today up.

Alec's apology and confession caught Adrian off guard... What about you?

Did you expect anything like this from him?

Do you think Alec should've put more effort into it, made it somehow grander, or is simple better?

Do you think he should've kissed Adrian then?

Also: what do you think about Adrian's suggestion for Alec to make individual apologies before facing the Bullets again?

What other steps do you think Alec could take to get on the pack's good side?

Have a great time wattpadding! Please support this chapter with a VOTE if you enjoyed it!

PS: Do you think Riley and Rhys are going to accept Alec's apologies?