oasis

^me every time.😥

Oasis ~A shelter serving as a place of safety or sanctuary.

Keevah ~
******

As I lean my palm against the doorframe, I take a long deep breath in, through my nose and out through my mouth. The entire drive over here from work my stomach was in knots, tugging at every anxious nerve in my body. Before my nerves even allow me the confidence to knock, the wooden door swings open.

"Hello", I jolt back a little, almost falling down the threshold, the voice snapping me out of it. What am I doing here?

" I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you, just you were looking kind of weird standing out here and not moving".

"Hhm, it's fine", clearing my voice, " may I come in"? I ask gesturing inside.

"Oh yeah, pardon my manners, come on in."

" Thank you."

But just before I went in, the lines under his eyes, sloppily cut hair obscuring his glassy eyes from view, told me what I didn't have to ask.

The whole room is bathed in a warm, golden light. The few golden chairs were taken up by guests, set up on either side of a thin, white carpet that ended under an illuminated, floral archway. Ivy entwined candelabras hung from the ceiling, and lanterns and candles lined the white, wooden beamed walls. Jesus, what is it with him and woods. The scent of vanilla mixed with the florals in the room, making a sweet and light fragrance that filled the air. The beautiful vineyard interior was practically glowing with the love of those seated within it.
I sight him first, he's kinda hard to miss.

His mouth is set in a thin, straight line, and his hair, neatly tied and worn back to reveal a wide forehead. The jacket he wore over his broad shoulders, had neatly polished buttons, and the scarf around his neck was tied, so that the ruffles perfectly filled the space, left open by the coat. And all this I got from a side profile. Get this over with, you got this, you just came to say goodbye, that's all there is.

"Hello", I greet, interrupting the ongoing conversation, he didn't seem to mind,

" Kee!, I'm so glad you could make it", his lips curl into a full blown smile as he slings his hand over my shoulder.

"Yeah, me too, c'mon, I have something to say to you",

" you heard the lady ", he turns to face the not so pleased gentlemen, who're glaring at me for interrupting their boring conversation, bitch please, all they want is his money,  " we'd continue this another time."

"God, thank you",

" my pleasure."

"How did you know I needed to get out of there"?

" you were touching the strap of your wristwatch." I let out a breath while looking at the galaxies of stars staring right at me,

"Oh, you remember", he mutters, slightly surprised I do.

" That isn't the point, you should be thankful I dragged you out of that dreadful conversation".

"Technically,  I dragged you. But thank you", he looks at me and gives a slight smile, then looking back up at the sky, Mount Vernon always had beautiful stars.

" Why do you put up with it"?

"With what"?

" Don't play dumb with me".

"It's business Kee, business".

Right. Moving on.

" so, how's the bride - to- be doing"?