The Man Who Sold The World

Start from the beginning

"Florence. You're here... I never thought I would see you again... Surely it isn't just coincidence us bumping into each other."

At this point, I had given up with the gum, and just put my sticky hand behind me, trying to act casual and continue the conversation.

"Probably not." I replied.

"It's just... after last time... I... well... where were you?"

I didn't know what to say. Where was I? Only 46 years in the future!

I had to stall him to try and think of an excuse; "David... It's a long story... is there any chance we could talk, maybe, not on the grass outside a pub?"

"Okay... I guess then you can follow me to where I was going. I need to tell you something too, anyways. Plus, I find conversations always go better when you are walking through deserted London streets at 4:30am."

He chuckled to himself, though deep down I could tell he was longing for an explanation for the hurt I had caused him.

David gestured for me to follow him down the pathway, so I caught up, and walked close to him.

"David, can I ask you something odd?"

"Sure..."

"When is it? Like the month and year?"

"Florence, what? It's Thursday... 19th March... 1970. I think, but that was indeed a weird question. I'm beginning to think that you, my friend, may be as drunk as I." He gave me a soft bop on the nose, and my heart filled with glee.

Maybe he could forgive me after last time? Was my disappearance really that bad?

In the eerie light of the night, the London streets were quiet yet held a deep sense of vigour and adventure. This London was very different to the one I had left back in 2016.

Hippies were playing guitar in parks, people in bell bottoms were drunkenly coming out of pubs, and vintage cars were churning across the narrow roads. It was sweet 1970s bliss, and it felt even more so as I was walking alongside David Bowie, as the sun slowly began to peek above some of the brick buildings.

The light gave David's chiseled features a soft glow, radiating light and love and beauty.

This whole time, we had been talking. It was slightly tense and awkward at first, but now, as the dawn approached, we were feeling more free. Though the whole time we steered away from the topic of last time's kiss, and my disappearance.

David went to hold my hand, and, without thinking, I pulled away - not wanting him to touch the slimy mess still stuck to it.

He looked at me, his mismatched eyes slightly saddened, and a small droop in his lilting smile.

"David... I didn't mean to pull away like that, it's actually a funny story..." I began to say. He stopped in the pathway.

"Tell me about it. I know we have just been joking around, but I really need to know. About you, and why you left... It really hurt, Florence. But I tried to move on."

"David. I'm so sorry, but I just can't tell you why I had to leave. It was an emergency. I really didn't want to go, I swear, but that wasn't why I pulled away-"