xx. mines of moria

Start from the beginning

If Vera is being honest, Legolas' sweet acts isn't helping the wild thoughts that run through her head. His confusing actions only bring her mind more to worry about, straying far from the main purpose of the journey. Vera is rather familiar with the topic of loved ones ranging from family and friends to her subjects and her people, the people she swore to protect.

Her first love, she could say, is Corin, who showed her more to life than royal duties and responsibilities of the crown. Though it didn't end the way Vera wanted it to, it was an experience for her, leaving her quite acquainted with the topic of love. However, she felt herself stuck in place at the position she is now. Vera didn't know what to do, or how to approach the situation as she couldn't even admit to herself of her true feelings. For a long while, she felt herself refusing to admit that whatever she felt for Legolas is something more than friends.

One part of her wanted to admit it, to admit that she does feel something more, to admit that she could open herself up to something new. But, for once, she managed to talk herself out of it. Her mind would weigh her options, ranging from the common sadness and humiliation of rejection to the never-ending grief of losing someone she loved.

So, she backs out of the confession, going back to the regular thoughts about her friends and keeping her musing about Legolas away from her mind and her heart, locking it and throwing away the key. She convinced herself that they were friends, and it worked because, after that, all she could think about was her friends. Suddenly, Gandalf's word returns to her head about the dangers that linger in Moria.

Worry settles in her chest at the thought of one of her friends coming out of that mountain harmed, or worst: dead. Vera, although familiar with many things that life has to offer like the happiness of love, the warmth of friendship and family, the sadness of rejection, and the sorrow of being alone, is particularly foreign with the concept of death and grief.

Her list of people to worry about is short, considering her father died when she was young and her grandparents have drifted from their world to the other side, and only consisted of her mother and her brother. Her solitary confinement, which has lead to her lack of social skills, provided many upsides compared to the disadvantages of it. She was safe; safe from danger, safe from death, safe from grief, and safe from sadness.

For a while, Vera spent years wondering why her mother chose to lock her in a palace when the ocean they rule spreads through countries and covers all of Arda. But, as she thinks about it now, she realizes just how deep her mother's protection goes, ranging from the necessary means of threat to the profound notion of grief and sorrow. It only adds up more as Vera remembers her mother's own grief.

Fear fills her at the thought, glancing up at her friends with worry, and unintentionally connecting eyes with Gandalf. She couldn't help but feel like something bad is going to happen and with the incoming doom that awaits them in the walls of Moria, she could completely understand why.

She just couldn't understand what would happen. The worse possibilities come to her mind, leaving her a nervous mess of bloody nails from her gnawing and bruised lips. Separating quickly from Legolas before he notices the blood, she steps closer to Gimli, who is too caught up in his excitement to care for Vera's obvious nerves. "The walls of Moria!"

The Fellowship is soon met with a vast, mighty wall that stretches across to appear like a mountainside, completely hiding the mines that lie within. Forcing a smile at Gimli as he looks at her in awe, they depart from their spot to approach the wall, walking around the large puddle that sits beyond the wall to guard it. Vera frowns at the sudden movement she feels in the water, furrowing her brows at the feeling in her.