Chapter 31- Shutting Down

Start from the beginning

Walking through the airport with Winter, Bubba, and Baby in tow. In my own clothes, feeling once again like myself. People asleep on the chairs of the airport and some even taking refuge on the floor.

"How did you get us plane tickets so fast?" I ask.

"No plane tickets. Just a plane." Winter says.

"You have a privet jet?"

"Well my mom does. Faeries obviously can't fly everywhere; I mean we can but flying across the ocean is just exhausting. So we have a jet." She says it likes it's the most normal thing.

To her it obviously is.

"You're mom's a smart lady then."

"You met her. My mom is Justine, from my company."

I stop dead in my tracks, my mind registering what I just heard. What now? Justine is her mother?

"So then you are a legit faerie princess?" Peering at her in disbelief and she nods. "I shouldn't be surprised, honestly."

Making it onto the plane, Bubba hopping onto the seats and Baby making himself comfortable in my lap.

The luxurious interior was expected, so I said nothing as I slide into a window seat. My mind flashing back to the argument with Nikolai. Thinking about the look on Christine's face the moment I decided to leave.

Like I just committed a murder.

How quickly the argument between Nik and I escalated. But how miserable I was throughout the entire day, it was enough to keep me rooted to this airplane seat. Winter passes me a glass of something clear.

"It's a special blend. Only faeries make and drink this, but I think today I can make an exception." She says with a wink. With a small smile I take the glass from her and take a sip.

It was sweet, like a syrup but with very light density. The buzz hit me almost instantly and I felt my eyelids getting heavy. Now I understood why only faeries drink this, this shit hits hard.

My head leaning back against the seat as the plane door closed. My eyes flutter closed and soon I was gone. I dreamt of nothing but clouds and stars, in a blissful happy world. With my own family and friends, a mate that loved me, and bathing in the golden light of the sun.

Warmth.

I just wanted warmth.

***

I wake up swaddled in satin sheets, but confused. Light shining into the room but my eyes couldn't focus. Buzzing in my head, it was like I had flies right next to my ears.

"Hey you're awake." Winters soft gentle voice hits my ears as I sit up. Still dressed in my own clothes but my shoes gone.

"Where are we?"

"You know where we are." She laughs and I see her arm extend with a black mug in hand. I take it and eagerly take a sip. My vision clearing instantly and groaning in relief. The buzzing in my head ceasing and I sigh.

"I think I just found my new favorite poison." My voice raspy. "But that shit is lethal."

"It's a fantasy drink. For faeries it's the only thing strong enough to really get us drunk. It's supposed to make you see your happiest thoughts and feelings."

"Well then the fact it's called a fantasy drink is really fitting then." I shove the sheets away and find my footing. "I would ask how you got me to, where ever we are, but I'd probably hear,"

"Magic." She cuts me off and I nod, chuckling.

The room itself felt very rustic and homey. But somehow maintained some sort of splendor, with the deep green satin sheets and pillows to match. The windows covered with black out curtains.

Walking over and pushing them to the side, I saw the streets of Amsterdam. People walking calmly with smiles on their faces. A few people smoking a joint or two as they moved down the side walks.

The day sailing by with a calm breeze and the feel of a distant sun. There wasn't much warmth today, but it was nice.

Bubba came bouncing into the room and jumped on me. I held my ground and knelt down to him as he licked my face. Sitting down and rubbing his head against mine. I noticed how Baby was hanging off the scruff of his neck. I coped softly taking Baby into my hands and rubbing my cheek against his head.

Pets are truly wonderful.

"How long do you want to stay here?" Winter asks.

"I don't know." I sigh as I sit crossed legged on the ground. "But I appreciate you doing this for me. Really, I am."

"Don't you still have classes?"

"Neoma is Neoma. They'll understand if I go missing for a few weeks. I am graduating soon, attendance isn't mandatory and I could do my assignments online. I just don't want to be around anyone."

"So are you just going to camp here?"

"I just need to straighten myself out. But what about you? You came here with me? You still have a job don't you?"

"I'm a faerie princess, I can basically do what I want, especially if I'm working under my own mother." She says raising her chin proudly.

"Lucky you." I sigh as Bubba lies down beside me snuggling in close. Baby resting his head against my chest.

A moment of silence passes between us both and Winter sits on the edge of the bed. A pensive look on her face, her eyes locked onto the ground before switching to me.

"Sol, did you like being with King Nikolai?"

I pause. It was yes or no question, but it felt so hard to answer.

"My wolf did. She liked having him around, she liked his scent, his voice, his eyes, his lips. She liked the fact that there was a second chance."

My wolf was silent as I said this. Tucked away in a corner mourning the loss of a man that refused us. Refused to give us the respect we deserved.

"But did you like him?"

"I am my wolf, Winter. The only difference between me now, and that part of me, is the fact that I think much more rationally and walk on two legs. If I were to shift, I'd be a completely different person. A lot more angry and wild."

"Lycan's call their wild sides Beasts." She muses. "And it's very fitting because that's exactly what they act like once they shift."

I let out a dry croaking laugh.

"You know before Hal and I stopped talking we'd make jokes about this lycan play we saw. We'd quote it and it would always make us laugh." I suck my teeth at the memory. "I cannot believe I wasted hours of my life watching that shit."

"Why did you?"

"Because I'm studying history. Every single inch of history, I have to know about. Take it in what ever form it comes for the next big essay or exam. I have history dating back to the first two wolves stuck in my head."

Winter shakes her head and stands.

"Well, we're here to to keep you out of your head, so this is what we're gonna do."