The Children of the Moon

It began in 4000 BC on a rather insignificant island inhabited by insignificant people; you see dear reader these people weren't like everyone else. They lived quietly on the island of Delos spending their days in sweet tranquility and not only that but they had the most peculiar relationships with some of the wild beasts of the land; their most prominent relationship was their alliance with the wolves that roamed the island. The people and the wolves lived in a well-balanced symbiotic relationship.

The people protected the wolves from foreign poachers and gave them the highest regard by gifting them with a part of their goods. The wolves, on their part, protected the people from other dangerous predators and willingly gave up their pelts towards their time of death as a  means of thanksgiving to the humans. 

The two parties lived this way for many years and had spent many of those years without trouble. That is until she came.

The woman came from the sea on a small boat and she was laboring; her stomach contracted violently as her body prepared itself for the birth of her child. "Βοηθήστε με παρακαλώ" (Help me, please) She was immediately taken to the local midwife and it was there that she continued to labor on for 12 days before giving birth to not one but two small babes; a boy and a girl. It was some days after that she revealed her story to the islanders.

She was called Leto, a Titanides, and after her sister rejected Zeus, the god took Leto into his embrace. Leto fell pregnant and was soon harassed by the wrathful Hera who had the Titanides chased to almost all the corners of the world. The mother-to-be was at her breaking point until Hermes, who found fun in causing mischief for Hera, guided her to an island where she would be safe.

The islanders were humbled to have a goddess amongst their presence and were elated to have been blessed in having two deities born on their land; they also promised the mother that she and her children would remain safe there on Delos as the wolves that occupied the island were fierce protectors. This proved to be true as many of their canine friends had taken up guard around the house where Leto labored for many days in order to bring her children into the world.

During the years to come, Leto, spent much of her time with her children amongst the wolves as she herself had the ability to shift into the form of the wolf. It was here on Delos that she was gifted the title of the 'Wolf Goddess'. Soon, however, it would be time for her to leave with her children as their father had yet to meet them and it pained Leto to know that she would be leaving such good friends behind and she had no way to repay them.

It was during her last week on the island that her way of thanks came to mind. She was with her children saying goodbye to her beloved wolf friends when she spied in the distance a young man and woman who were feeding a few of the wolf pups as another woman petted the mother. During her stay there Leto saw in the eyes of the people a great wanting; they would look upon the wolves with such a brightness she'd never seen before. 

Her last day there on the island Leto stood on the shoreside with her two small children who waved sadly at the people who had taken such good care of them and their mother. "Πες μου; τι μπορώ να κάνω για να σας δείξω τη μέγιστη ευγνωμοσύνη μου για όλα όσα έχετε κάνει για μένα και τα παιδιά μου?" (Tell me; what can I do to show you my utmost gratitude for all that you've done for me and my children?) 

The islanders shook their heads with small smiles, "Το να έχετε εσείς και τα παιδιά σας εδώ ήταν οι μεγαλύτερες ευχαριστίες που θα μπορούσαμε να έχουμε." (Having you and your children here has been the greatest thanks we could have,) One of the chief elders replied reverently. Leto shook her head gently, "Οχι." (No) Everyone looked at her confused some even worried that they had offended the goddess by refusing her gratitude. 

"Σε παρακολούθησα όλα αυτά τα χρόνια," (I have watched you over the years) She began, "Εσείς και οι λύκοι εδώ σε αυτό το νησί έχετε έναν δεσμό που δεν έχω ξαναδεί. Έχεις μια επιθυμία στα μάτια σου. Η επιθυμία να τρέξει τόσο γρήγορα όσο κάνουν, να νιώσουν τη φύση όπως κάνουν. Στο τέλος, πιστεύω ότι ο μόνος τρόπος για να σας δείξω τις ευχαριστίες μου είναι να σας δώσω αυτήν την ικανότητα." (You and the wolves here on this island have a bond that I have never seen before. You have a wanting in your eyes; the wanting to run as fast as they do, to feel nature the way they do. In the end, I believe that the only way to show you my thanks is to give you that ability.)

A cloud of puzzlement past over the islanders, "Ό, τι εννοείς, κυρία μου?" (Whatever do you mean, My lady) one of the younger members of the community asked. Leto smiled seeing the curiosity in his eyes. 

Leto held out her hands for the mortals to take, one of the village elders grasped his hand in hers and almost immediately shifted painlessly into the form of a wolf. Many of the islanders backed away in terrified awe; when the wolf turned to look at them they could see the humanity in the wolf's eyes as it howled in joy leaping around happily. The goddess then waved her hand in the air and the elder once more shifted into a man covered in furs. Everyone surrounded him as they spoke over each other excitedly; the goddess smiled at their happiness. Then one by one they lined up to receive her blessing.  

And so the existence of the Children of the Moon came into being.

A/N: So this is crap, in my professional opinion, but I wanted to put something out there. As you can see this is my version of the origins of werewolves; next up will be a chapter focused on the beginning of vampires and will have some time jumps in it so we can get to the enslavement and cursing of the werewolves without the chapter being hella long.