25: Campus Crash

A U B R E Y

A U B R E Y

It's 2:19 a.m. and I am still here outside the emergency room—waiting.

Justin and I were on the phone when the accident happened.

I heard the crash.

I heard him scream in pain.

I heard everything.

And up until now, I still keep hearing everything in my head like a broken record that just keeps on playing.

He was already in the ER when I got to the hospital. His car was almost unrecognizable but I'm still thankful that he's alive. Sabi pa sa akin ng nurse ay suwerte pa nga raw si Justin dahil nailabas siya nang buo at walang naputol na parte ng katawan niya.

I cringed at the thought.

He had plenty of cuts and lacerations from all the shattered glass, as well as dislocated knees and shoulders. Maliban pa ro'n ay kailangan din daw siyang obserbahan to check if he developed any brain injuries from his head trauma.

I cried alone for a while. I prayed, begged, and pleaded to the gods to save him. For literal hours, all I could think of was the fact that I love him so much and I can't imagine my life without him.

It was a little over 3 a.m. when Pat arrived. Mukhang bagong gising siya dahil mugto pa ang mga mata niya at medyo gulo-gulo rin ang buhok.

She spotted me sitting on my own. She hesitated, but eventually walked over and approached me.

"Kumusta siya?" alalang tanong niya nang makalapit sa akin.

"N-Nasa loob pa," sagot ko. "Nando'n si Tita, but they wouldn't let me in because I'm not family."

She let out a sigh. "He'll be fine. I'm sure he will," mahinang bulong niya bago umupo sa tabi ko.

I licked my lips. "T-Thank you for dropping by," I told her, still with tears in my eyes.

She just nodded understandingly at me but didn't say another word. I guess she knows that now isn't the perfect time for talking.

The sun was almost up when they finally got Justin out of the emergency room. I looked at his mom but she didn't even act as if she saw me. Instead, she went straight to Pat and hugged her. "Salamat, Anak, at pumunta ka," she told her as she cried.

They have always been close, the two of them. Matagal na naging girlfriend ni Justin si Pat, so it's understandable na halos anak na rin ang turing sa kaniya ni Tita Trina.

Still, I can't help but feel jealous at the sight of them. Even now na ako na 'yong girlfriend ng anak niya, si Pat pa rin ang gusto niya. Why can't she treat me the same way? Why can't she accept the fact na ako na ang girlfriend ni Justin ngayon?