27: Asian Penguin

P A T

P A T

Nang makabalik na si Tita Trina sa ospital ay napagdesisyunan namin ni Aubrey na umuwi na muna. Alam kong ayaw niya pang umalis pero binalaan ko siya na baka pati siya ay ma-ospital din kapag nasobrahan siya sa puyat at nagkulang sa pahinga.

Besides, there was a lot of tension between the two of them. We agreed that it would be better for everyone if they don't stay in the same room and just take turns looking after Justin.

"Hayyy," I sighed to myself as I jumped on my bed. I feel physically and mentally drained. Sobrang bigat ng isip at pakiramdam ko . . . like I took my finals and ran a marathon at the same time.

I still can't process everything that Justin told me. There's a part of me that suspects the reliability of his memories, but I have a sinking feeling in my heart that he was telling the truth. Or his truth, at least.

I can't imagine how hard it is for him to pretend that he doesn't have any feelings for Aubrey at all. He is head over heels for her! I didn't know that her parents detested him so much, they would even have him killed. I have always known that they were extremely protective of her, but I never knew them to resort to crime and violence.

Justin may initially seem like your average playboy who is incapable of doing any good, but he is a really nice guy once you get to know him. I doubt I would have remained in love with him for three years if he wasn't.

Yes, he is childish, moody, and a bit insecure sometimes. But once you become his friend, he will always have your back. I don't want to take sides because I only know things from Justin's perspective, but it's hard not to feel sorry for him, especially after seeing the extent of his injuries.

If only Aubrey's parents tried to get to know him better.

I stared at my ceiling and exhaled loudly. Parang sobrang tagal ko nang hindi nakatulog nang mapayapa. Lagi na lang akong may iniisip at inaalala. Now, as much as I am worried about Justin, I also can't help but think about my relationship with Aubrey.

She and I are still in the process of mending whatever's left of our friendship. If I help Justin with his plans . . . it will not only break her relationship with him, but her relationship with me, too—for good.

I know that Aubrey hurt me before, but I have no intention of intentionally doing the same to her. If Justin and I pretend that we are back together, she will definitely get hurt—maybe even worse than I felt before. And I don't want to inflict that kind of pain on anyone no matter the circumstances.

Hindi ko alam kung gaano katagal akong nakatulog pero madilim na sa labas ng bintana ko nang biglang kumatok si Mommy.

"Pat?" Sumilip siya sa pinto at ngumiti nang makita ako. "May bisita ka," anunsyo niya.

Hindi pa tuluyang nagigising ang diwa ko kaya hindi ko siya masyadong naintindihan.

"Huh?" tanong ko, sabay upo. Sa sobrang lutang ko pa nga ay ilang segundo kong tiningnan ang palapulsuhan ko para malaman ang oras, pero wala naman pala akong suot na relo.