14: Hot Seat

A X L

A X L

"So, where are we going?" excited na tanong ni Pat habang naglalakad kami papunta sa parking. Apat na oras pa ang vacant ko bago ang susunod kong klase, siya naman ay tatlo.

I can't believe that she agreed to go out with me. Heck, we've been doing this for weeks now but I'm still in utter disbelief. I really thought I messed things up between us that night at the School Fair.

When we reached my car, I opened the passenger door for her and let her in, and then I checked the tires before plopping down on the driver's seat next to her. I turned to look at her and saw her sitting comfortably beside me. She was already wearing her seatbelt and was attempting to connect to my car's speakers to play some music.

She looks completely at home in my car, I couldn't help but think that maybe she's really meant to be here . . . with me.

After making sure that she was already settled, I stepped on the gas pedal and started driving. Sinasadya kong bagalan magpatakbo dahil alam ko na minsan na siyang naaksidente noon, and I don't want to scare her by going too fast.

"Ang bagal mo, lods. Puwede mong bilisan po? Baka 2030 na tayo makarating do'n," biro niya.

I just laughed at her but still kept a firm pressure on the accelerator. I'm sure we'll still get there in time.

"Kuwento ka," sabi ko sa kaniya nang makalayo na kami sa Dawson.

"About?" tanong niya.

"Anything. I just want to get to know you more," maiksing sagot ko.

Nitong mga nakaraang linggo ay puro tungkol sa pag-aaral ang usapan namin. It's not that I'm complaining, but maybe it's time for us to get to know each other on a personal level, and not just as schoolmates.

"Hmmm. Okay," mahinang bulong niya, na tila nagsisimula nang mag-isip ng maikukuwento.

Halos ilang minuto rin siyang nanahimik.

"Ganito na lang. Since you said na . . . it's about time we take things to the next level . . . tanungan na lang tayo! So that we can get to know each other better! " bigla na lang niyang hiyaw. Mahinahon at malamig naman ang boses niya kapag nagsasalita pero pansin ko na mahilig siyang sumigaw kapag nasasabik. Para bang ilang kilometro ang layo ko sa kaniya, kahit na literal na magkatabi lang naman kami. "We take turns asking questions. Bawat question, pareho tayong sasagot. Whoever skips a question gets punished."

"Haha. Punished?"

"Yeah!" She sat up straight. "Para may thrill!"

I just smiled at the look of pure excitement on her face.

"Haha. Okay, then." Humarap ako sa kaniya at napangiti. "If we're going to play . . . you'll have to start," sagot ko, tutal naman ay mukhang marami na siyang naiisip na itanong.