t w e n t y e i g h t

Start from the beginning

taehyung stared with horrified eyes as his brother laid in the middle of the street, blood flowing out of him while the driver had gotten out and was frantically shaking seokjin.

seokjin wasn't responding to the driver. the driver had placed two fingers on the side of seokjin's neck and checked for a pulse, but didn't feel anything.

taehyung wanted to run to his brother's body and check on him to make sure that he wasn't injured. he wanted to check for a pulse instead in case the driver didn't place his fingers in the right area, but he was frozen in his spot.

taehyung's eyes held fear and anger as he glanced down at his dead brother and the calico cat who had made it safely across the street without any harm and was watching the scene as well.

it was from the moment that taehyung hated especially hated cats the most out of any other animal and it was all because of the cat standing across the street, that calico cat.

taehyung suddenly shot up in his bed, his hands clammy and knuckles white from gripping the blanket too tightly. he let go and ran his fingers through his sweaty hair while panting heavily.

he turned and glanced down at yoongi who was sleeping peacefully, unaware that taehyung had suddenly woken up from a nightmare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the whole day taehyung kept zoning out. he kept thinking about his brother and the nightmare he had.

it had been two years since his brother had died and a year since the nightmares had stopped, but suddenly last night they had returned.

the scene of his seokjin's death replayed over and over in taehyung's head, too occupied in his thoughts and completely unaware that jungkook was rambling to him about something.

"are you even listening?" jungkook pouted.

"huh?" taehyung asked as he snapped back into reality.

"i was telling you about what i'm planning to do after i turn back into a bunny. hoseok mentioned he wanted to go on a date."

"imagine how cute it would be if i spotted two bunnies on their date, eating berries by the river," yoongi said as he joined in the conversation.

jungkook's crossed his arms while giving yoongi a glare. "imagine how cute it would be if someone found your dead body in the river the next day."

taehyung bit his lips after hearing the words 'dead body' leave jungkook's mouth. the only dead body he was thinking about at the moment was seokjin's.

it was because of that calico cat that taehyung had lost his brother and the reason for which he hated cats, but now that the nightmares had returned taehyung was afraid of hating cats all over again.

"taehyung?" yoongi asked worriedly.

he had zoned out again that he had missed the customer who had walked in the store and who had tried talking to him since jimin was at the back and yoongi and jungkook were busy arguing.

"hm?"

"are you okay? you didn't seem to hear that the customer was talking to you or that i had called your name five times now."

"i'm fine," taehyung said with a sigh.

yoongi didn't seem very convinced. "tell me what's wrong." he said as he reached below the counter and held taehyung's hand.

"i've just been thinking about some things, that's all."

"like want?"

"i'm just scared that i'll come to hate cats again," taehyung admitted.

"is it because i am leaving in four days?" yoongi asked.

taehyung shook his head. "no, and don't even remind me of how many days it is left. it will be hard for me too."

"then what is if that is bothering you?"

taehyung took a small breath as he prepared himself to speak "my brother, he died because of a cat."

jimin was at the back of the shelter but he was already making his way to the front of it when he heard taehyung mention his brother. he suddenly stopped and took a shaky deep breath as he also recalled the memory of seokjin's last few moments.