Chapter 22

A/N - I loved writing these next few chapters.

The Doctor entered the art room the TARDIS had created for Elise. It was much like her bedroom with a large window at the back that let her look at the stars or wherever they had landed.

Elise was sitting on a huge canvas, her hands a flurry as she painted.

He cleared his throat and she finally looked up. There was a smudge of blue paint above her right eye.

"I have something for you," he told her.

"What happened?"

"What makes you think I did something?"

She cocked an eyebrow at him.

"I swear nothing happened," he said, pulling out a record from behind his back.

Elise dropped her paints and ran over to him. The white sleeveless cardigan she wore was splattered with different colors of paint, but she didn't seem to notice or care. She was also wearing a light blue tank top and skinny jeans. All she was missing was a flower crown in her hair.

She took the record from him. It was by some obscure artist she'd never heard of.

"I know it's not Bob Dylan or something like that."

Elise kissed his cheek and said, "It's perfect." She walked over to her record player and set it on the turnstile. She placed the needle on the record and soft music started to play. Elise closed her eyes as she listened to it, lightly swaying to the beat.

Elise had flourished in last few years. When they weren't looking for Melody, they took frequent trips to the 70's. Elise quickly learned that it was her favorite decade. The fashion, the art, the culture. The only thing they had to be careful of was running into some of his past regenerations.

"Finish up what you're doing. We've got Ponds to pick up."

"Amy and Rory? But we haven't seen them in forever."

The Doctor showed her a newspaper. The headline was about a crop circle, created by Amy and Rory no doubt.

"You going to wear that coat?" Elise asked.

The Doctor played with the longer coat. It wasn't as long or flowy as his tan one, but it fit him. "Why? What's wrong with it?" he asked.

Elise shrugged. "Nothing. Just like the tweed one is all."

The Doctor clapped his hands. "Chop, chop. Finish up."

Elise rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'll meet you in the control room."

The Doctor smiled as he left the room. Elise was slowly becoming his best friend. He still saw her as a daughter, but he was trying to let up on his overprotective tendencies. She was a teenager now and she'd be wanting more independence soon.

The Doctor bounced up to the console as Elise came into the control room. She'd traded her sleeves cardigan for a simple TARDIS blue hoodie.

They exited the TARDIS as a car stopped in front of them.

The Doctor held up the newspaper in his hand and pointed to it. "Seriously?"

"Well, you never answer your phone," Rory told him.

"Okay, you've had all summer. Have you found her? Have you found Melody?" Amy asked. She looked at the brunette standing next to the Doctor. "Elise?"