Chapter 4

Kazran closed Abigail's cryochamber.

They'd just gotten back from 1950's Hollywood where the Doctor married Marilyn Monroe.

Elise couldn't wait to tell River about what happened.

"There we go. Another day, another Christmas Eve. We'll see you in a minute, eh?" The Doctor slapped Kazran on the back. "I mean, a year."

"Doctor? Listen, why don't we leave it?" Kazran asked.

"Sorry, leave what?"

"Oh, you know, this. Every Christmas Eve. It's getting a bit old."

"Old?"

"Well, Christmas is for kids, isn't it? I've got some work with my dad now. I'm going to focus on that. Get that cloud belt under control."

"Sorry, I didn't realize we were boring you."

"Not your fault. Times change." Kazran started to walk away from them.

"Not as much as I'd hoped. Kazran!" The Doctor took out his half screwdriver and flipped it in the air. "I'll be needing a new one, anyway. What the hell." He handed it to Kazran. "Merry Christmas. And if you ever need me, just activate it. I'll hear you."

"I won't need you."

"What's happened? What are you not telling me?"

Kazran walked away from them again.

"What about Abigail?"

"I know where to find her."

"Yeah."

The Doctor and Elise went back to the TARDIS.

"Does this mean Amy and Rory and all those people are gonna die?" Elise asked.

The Doctor knelt in front of her. "No. No I'm gonna find a way to save them. Do you trust me?"

Elise nodded.

Sardick reappeared in the cryovault.

Elise and the Doctor stood in front of him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize," the Doctor told him.

"All my life, I've been called heartless. My other life, my real life, the one you rewrote. Now look at me."

"Better a broken heart than no heart at all."

"Oh, try it. You try it. Why are you here?"

"Because I'm not finished with you yet. You've seen the past, the present, and now you need to see the future."

"Fine. Do it. Show me. I'll die cold, alone and afraid. Of course I will. We all do. What difference does showing me make? Do you know why I'm going to let those people die? It's not a plan. I don't get anything from it. It's just that I don't care. I'm not like you. I don't even want to be like you. I don't and never, ever will care."

"And I don't believe that."

"Then show me the future. Prove me wrong."

"I am showing it to you. I'm showing it to you right now. So what do you think? Is this who you want to become, Kazran?"

Sardick turned around to see the younger version of himself.

"Dad?"

Sardick raised his hand to hit his younger self.