Twelve

Stepping off on the seventh floor, Steve led the way to their room. Briefly struggling with the keycard, Steve sighed in relief when the light finally blinked green, allowing them entrance. Steve pushed open the door and turned on the light to reveal a large room with a long dresser beneath the flat screen TV, a small desk off to the side, loveseat, coffee table, and two queen size beds. What Bucky was mostly looking forward too, however, was being able to bathe.

Setting down the bags and smiling as Maisie took off for the beds, Steve asked, "Do you want to order room service?"

"That sounds good," Bucky agreed, setting Noah down, who was suddenly wide awake as he sprinted across the room. Closing the door behind himself, Bucky calmly demanded, "Take your boots off before you even think about getting on those beds!"

With some annoyed huffing, the toddlers did as they were told and shrugged out of their jackets too. Sure, they left the items of clothing scattered around the floor where they were removed, but Bucky decided to pick his battles. Bending over to pick them up himself, another spout of pain -- a different, new pain -- radiated across his back and Bucky grasped onto the dresser.

"I'll pick it up, you go rest," Steve instructed, rushing over to help Bucky stand upright.

Although Steve didn't speak the words aloud, Bucky still knew that he was wondering if Bucky was okay. So, Bucky reassured, "I'm okay. Just forgot to lift with my legs."

Steve's hands lingered on Bucky's frame for a moment and he teased, "Maybe just ask me or the pups if you need something picked up from the floor."

"I'll try and keep that in mind," Bucky breathlessly chuckled, placing his flesh hand on the middle of his lower back to soothe the sore muscles. Looking over at his toddlers who were giggling like maniacs as they rolled around and hopped on one of the beds, Bucky returned his gaze to Steve and asked, "Do you mind watching them while I take a quick shower?"

"Of course, not," Steve fondly shook his head, "You'd think that by now you'd realize that I don't mind it."

"Better safe than sorry," Bucky shrugged, but not making any move to remove himself from Steve's hands. Glancing down at the petite alpha's large hands, wondering if Steve even realized that he was still holding onto Bucky. Judging by his blush and the way he quickly dropped his hands, Bucky concluded that he didn't.

Shoving one hand in his pocket while running the other one through his hair, Steve took a step back, knocking the back of his legs against the bed and losing his balance. Not that Maisie and Noah minded much as they giggled and started climbing all over Steve like he was a jungle gym. For half a second, Bucky's heart jumped up into his throat as he worried about Steve's reaction.

Only once Steve started giggling and playfully tossed the pups around on the bed did Bucky's heart calm down. Guessing that it would take a while to not worry about an alpha hurting his babies, Bucky grabbed his bag and entered the bathroom.

Relieved to have some alone time as he undressed himself. Feeling better by the second as he finally felt comfortable enough to remove his high-tech prosthetic. Sure, it was waterproof, but Bucky's arm was sore from wearing it for a prolonged time frame, so he unclipped the technologically advanced Stark Industries prosthetic and popped it out of the socket. Allowing himself a few minutes to rub at his sore bicep around the implanted anchor as he examined his naked reflection.

Overall, there were just some healing bruises. No fractured ribs, no dislocated limbs, no premature labor. Bucky counted himself lucky as he decided not to dilly dally any longer and crossed the bathroom to the shower.