Making my way down towards the fields, I grimace at the sight of the grey clouds that are rolling in, knowing that I'll be spending most of my day digging for potatoes in the English rain.

If you had told me at age ten that this is what I would be doing for the rest of my life, I would have laughed in your face. I fucking hate manual labour.

"Emilia?" A small voice calls out behind me and I immediately turn, smiling at the sight of Kayla.

"Hey."

"I meant to come and see you... after..." She trails off, biting her lip as we continue to walk. It's a sweet gesture, yet there's nothing I want more than to never speak of the Cell ever again.

"It's okay," I reply, looking away from her and over at the rolling fields.

"No," she replies. "It isn't. You were in there way longer than me."

"It flew by."

"Don't lie!" Kayla exclaims, slightly too loud.

"You two!" Mrs Engleberry yells from afar. "Get digging unless you want a stint in the Cell!"

"Bitch!" Kayla snaps under her breath, swiftly driving her shovel into the ground beside me.

"Couldn't agree more," I retort, pushing my own into the dirt.

"How's your husband doing anyway?" she asks and I grit my teeth at the mention of his name.

"Still a dick," I reply and she chuckles.

"Is he at least following the rules?"

"Some of them," I acknowledge, thinking to the food run we went on this morning, him insisting on carrying both bags as we returned home, walking in silence, my eyes occasionally slipping towards him.

"He better not get caught," Kayla mutters in response and I smile.

"He's smart." I scoff. "He knows how to do it. He's been home the last couple of days because apparently the State will be doing an inspection soon."

"They will?" She glances over at me, her shovel frozen in place as her eyes widen.

"So he's been told."

"I better tidy up my house then!" she exclaims. "Jace and I are slobs."

"How is it with Jace?" I ask as she turns back, forcing the shovel into the ground.

"Alright," Kayla shrugs. "He's nice and it's fun in the bedroom. I'm just not sure he's my soul mate."

"I understand," I assure her. "I don't even like mine. I wish we had a way out."

"Careful," Kayla warns, nodding in the direction of Mrs Engleberry who is currently making her way slowly down the line towards us.

"God, I hate this life!" I exclaim, hitting my shovel with my foot, pushing it deeper to heave out more fucking potatoes.

"No chatting whilst you work ladies!" Mrs Engleberry orders from behind me and I grit my teeth, pulling the shovel up and dumping the two potatoes I managed to obtain into the bucket. This is going to be a long ass day.

*~*~*

Shutting the door closed behind me, I am startled when my eyes fall on Zac, seated on the couch, deep in thought as he looks out of the front window, eyebrows furrowed.

"Hi?" I question and he immediately turns to face me, expression slackening.

"Hi," he responds gruffly, standing up from the couch and walking off into the kitchen.