(5)

·Autumn, 2014·

                         Stuwards reply made me feel just as much resentment as him towards the vampires. Annoying bloodsuckers always sticking their nose where its not wanted.

The best emotion I could chose for this moment would be empathy. My Mother was took by them as well, of course for different circumstances. But Humans and Weres are just the same for those vampires. Annoyances. In the way of them conquering the world.

"Just know that I understand what you're going through." I told him. "N—

My voice was cut off by me being pulled roughly by Stuward into his arms. I yelped softly by surprise, that soon switched to shock when I realized why.

With slight fear, I stared at the gritty looking mongrel swimming in the dark water. His wet dog smell wafting up my nose. Hungry barks erupted from his mouth showcasing his diseased filled canines.

More barks came from ahead of us, where the sewers cut off into three directions doing a cross.

"Shit, we have to move. Now!" Stuward called pulling me upwards and then left down a bright hall of the sewers.

The cars and our loud stomping of feet did nothing to dry out the vicious barks that were gaining on us. I couldn't shift. Not in front of my mate. So we had no chance, if they caught up to us we were dead meat.

Stuward panted, his grip tightening on my sweaty hand as I refused to let myself glance back in fear of tripping. My short hair flipping back and forth on my face, flinging out because of my rapid gasps of breaths.

"What do we do?!" Stuward called back to me, his eyes wide with fear that he tried to conceal but failed since he was also looking back at the rabid dogs.

My heart dulled to a throb, this fear being different than before. Without the option to shift and easily kill the dogs, I didn't know what to do. Being in my human form I felt just as useless as they must always feel in these type of situations.

I scanned the area in front of us tactically. My senses weakening and my blood thirst coming to wake. I needed to feed and soon.

"Rogue, what do we do?!" Stuwards anxious voice made me lock eyes with him and my mouth dried.

"F—Find a ladder up to the city!" I stuttered nervously picking up both our paces as I took the lead.

We ran for another few minutes, my legs burned as well as my chest from over exertion. Sharply I took a plunge, deciding to bring us to a sudden swift turn into a hidden corner.

We both groaned at the slap of skin against concrete. But the second the dogs barked, I pushed Stuward more into the wall to cushion him from being attacked if they noticed us.

The smell of a vampire came from up ahead. A whoosh of air went past and the dogs growled at him and that just confirmed that we might have a chance to escape.

"Dogs, yeah there down in the sewers."

The Night Guard spoke in a bored tone.

Groans and whimpers then filled the area, I was interested to know what was happening. But I couldn't risk him noticing us.

The swishing of his weapons echoed numbly off the walls. I was grateful that the Night Guard came when he did. The only problem is how we get past him without being spotted.

My brain was already sore from thinking too hard today. Usually my options would be simple. Eat or kill. I couldn't get rid of the uneasy feeling at the thought of not killing the Night Guard. It's not that vampires and werewolf's hate each other, it's just we hate the royal blood vampires for controlling their lesser class kin. That's what I learned eaves dropping anyway.

"Okay, there's a Night Guard taking care of the dogs. We move back the way we came and find a ladder uptop." I whispered strictly to my mate searching his brown eyes for any objections.

There wasn't.

I sent him the signal with my eyes and we shoved ourselves out of the corner. The Night Guard hissed when he saw us and shot at us, not caring about the dogs anymore as they tore into his limps. His armor doing nothing to defend him.

The bullets whizzed past us, four lodging their self in the water sending ripples and two skimmed my mate who yelped. His footing nearly getting diminished by the stinging pain but I lugged him up by his bicep rushing both of us around the corner.

I could smell the rotting blood of the vampire. He should be grateful he's dead. Other wise I would have went back and ripped him limp from limp. I knew I was angry and I stared ahead letting my mate limp against my body.

He wasn't heavy. Being malnourished and that. But the bullets grazed him in bad areas. His thigh and his hip bone, both of which were bleeding profusely.

I helped him walk a few more moment's before we came to a ladder. It looked dodgy, but would have to do. Gently I leaned my mate onto the ground, he winced but relaxed staring at me curiously.

"W—what are we going to do?" He asked.

I shrugged crossing my arms across my chest with pursed lips. "Here let me check your injuries then we'll see."

He nodded and I bent down on my knees. The ground cold and rough as I shifted closer to him beckoning for him to pull up his jacket and shirt. I scrutinized his wounds carefully, I wasn't shocked that they were bleeding heavily. No I was shocked that his wounds were already healing. The blood was just seeping from wounds that shouldn't heal this spectacularly for a human.

"Is everything okay?" Stuward said and I nodded uncertainly to him.

I washed his wounds with the dirty water from the sewers. It being the only choice I had to protect them against infections.

It seems my mate was more than what meets the eye.

·End·