11 | Familiar faces at the drugstore

Start from the beginning

A chance to escape Middlebridge for a day is tempting, but escape isn't what I need, not really.

"Thanks, but I'll stay," I say, glancing out the kitchen window where the new AC unit hums away. "Pat asked me to pick up some things from the drugstore. And it's Monday."

"Monday?" Raveena pauses, the bandage half-applied.

I smile a little. "Grey and I have this tradition. Bell River walks on Mondays after work."

Raveena studies me for a moment, then nods, her hands resuming their work. "Yes, I believe Patrick's mentioned that a time or two. That river is a gorgeous place." Her hands are steady as she applies a clear ointment with a swab. "Well, how's Greyson, then?"

I watch her work, twisting my body to see the back of my arm. "He's...keeping busy."

It's been a weekend since his release filled with tentative steps back to something resembling normalcy. He's taken longer shifts at the shop and come home more tired. We've talked through our windows each night, just easy, dumb stuff.

It's almost normal save the cuts on him. And me. But those are healing too.

Raveena's hands are firm as she holds my arm. "And how are you doing with all the talk?"

The truth? I'm angry. It's getting to me. It really is.

"I'm fine."

"Good. It's already dying down, hon. Believe me, the hospital's seen its share of gossip, and this? It'll pass. It already is. This might sting," she warns as she dabs on more ointment, this one a dark orange.

I close my eyes and brace for the pain...that never comes. I open one eye. "Still waiting for the agony. Should I just start screaming now?"

Raveena rolls her eyes as she finishes up with that one. Then she sets new gauze and banding around my arm that's much more comfortable than what I'd done.

She inspects her handiwork critically. "You did a decent job keeping it clean, though two stitches would have been best."

Coming from Raveena, this is high praise.

I shrug, my smile becoming easier. "Had to make sure it met Nurse Extraordinaire Raveena Patel's high standards."

She smacks my head. "Drama queen and smart aleck. Lord help your uncle these days."

I grin as she packs up the first aid kit. "Fine. What I meant was thank you."

She hums, sliding her eyes up to me with a glint.

Pat makes his grand entrance into the kitchen wearing a cowboy hat, boots and jeans, his grin stretching from ear to ear under that moustache, looking more ready for a rodeo than a concert. My immediate reaction is a groan, but it quickly turns into laughter as Raveena grabs his arm and they start a little two-step right there on the linoleum floor.

As they head for the door, Pat's voice floats back. "Don't forget the list on the fridge, sweetheart!"

I nod, even as they slip out, my smile fading.

I make quick work of my sandwich, eating in silence, staring out the kitchen window. As I clean up, I stare at the fridge, the list now hanging over my head.

Hiding forever isn't an option. Two days as a hermit has been plenty, thank you very much. My body, my life, they're mine, and I'm not cowering anymore.

With a deep breath, I adjust the straps of my blue tank top and tuck my hair behind my ears. Plucking the list off the fridge, I go for the door.

Middlebridge might be small, but I'm not.