Chapter 5: Spectator

The muffled cries of the playback ended, filling the darkened warehouse with nothing more than awestruck silence in its wake. The taller figure waved the screen off, effectively closing the hologram, the illumination sizzling away in his palm. Sapnap just stared back at him, dumbfounded.

"That's just one of those scenarios, y'know." Codex quipped. "Now you know what kind of a person your friend is." When the latter turned his gaze into infuriation, Codex merely shrugged in response.. "I warned you. I really did."

"You- No, he-". Sapnap struggled for words, anger and sadness both fighting for dominance within him. "That's not the real-.."

Code's smile was almost sympathetic. "Finish the sentence."

".. I wouldn't have done it." Sapnap shook his head, as if to convince himself more than the programmed entity.

"Well, you didn't." Codex twirled a holographic cube, eyes dancing with light and mirth as Sapnap sharply met his gaze. "I would know."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Sapnap growled. "Do you expect me to keep asking everytime you say something remotely cryptic?"

Codex merely laughed breezily. "C'mon, where's the fun now in explaining everything? Besides, I've done it so many times. Your reaction has never differed. Simple little Sap aren't you?"

Anger overrode the questions and he instinctually took a step forward in retaliation- but as fast as the impulse had begun, green holographic chains materialized, interlocked his feet to the ground.

"As I said, how many times are you going to do the same thing?" Codex chirped, lazily striding over, and mimed flicking sap's nose. The latter flinched.

"You don't understand." Codex cut in, as Sap began to open his mouth, and quickly shut it again as Codex continued. "How am I reading you?" "I'm a- Sapnap, that's not very nice."

How is he doing that? I don't understand. What the-? How did he know what I was about to say? Stop repeating me, you (redacted semantic sequence)

"I'm not reading your mind." Codex chuckled in amusement. "I'm just repeating what you've said everytime we get to this subpart. Its never gotten old."

Sapnap began to feel a growl building up in his throat. Here he was, being locked and every move predicted, having the very thoughts of his mind read before he could even process them, whilst his friends were losing their literal minds and lives. Everything seemed so incomprehensible. He had to do something. Anything.

What would he have done next anyways?

His fists were trembling.

Yeah. He would've tried punching the bastard, still smirking in his reach. He looked so ready. So sure of himself. Standing in anticipation of a move.

What would he have not done? What would.. Dream or George have done?

Sap relaxed. He glanced down at his feet, watching the holographic chains swirl and dissipate. It had a slight static-y buzz to it, not uncomfortable, but enough to feel through his sweatpants. It crackled and pulsed as he shifted his weight.

Silence hung in the air for the next several seconds.

Even without watching Codex, he felt the shift and tension break, even the programmed bastard was unsure of what he was doing. Well, coherently, nothing. He was doing nothing.

Codex was clearly unsettled, but tilted his head with a patronizing, innocent smile. "You've never given up before." He commented.

Sapnap shrugged nonchalantly. It was surely unlike him. Paradoxes, he remembered. Programs hated paradoxes.

"I'd give you a chance to meet them, if you'd like." Codex chirped.

"That's only because you know I can't stop them." Sapnap murmured.

"Not yet." Codex grinned. The chains hissed as they disappeared from his ankles.

It took Sapnap every will and every fibre in his body to control the tensed up muscles and fury to not lunge at Codex. "You're lying. You wouldn't be sending me to the right realm." Sapnap crossed his arms. "Otherwise, you would know I lose either way."

"Would you?" Codex questioned light-heartedly. "It's all a game of chance, isn't it? It always was." A swirl of his palm conjured a portal, radiating neon green and broad enough to step through- which lit up the dim room in a soft, eerie glow. It wasn't the right realm. Sapnap was entirely sure of it. Codex wouldn't be that careless. He was not going to play another twisted version of this bastard's game.

Matching Codex's smile, Sapnap wrung his hands, as he looked towards the entrance of the portal. "You better be rooting for me." He said.

"I'll be watching." Codex tucked his hands into his hoodie, nodding towards the entrance of the portal with a wary smirk.

"Then I'll be as ready as I'll never be." Sapnap replied, as he turned right around and took a running start, smashing through the pixelated windows.

__________

Player Sapnap has left the game.

________