Chapter 15 | I'll Think About It

Monday, October 2

She is everywhere.

I can't go anywhere around the castle without seeing that devilish smile and that damned pink coat. The DADA teacher is horrible, no doubt about that. If a miracle happens, she'll be fired. I can't wait for that miracle.

I'm sure everyone agrees.

Why does it seem like that woman is out to get me?

"Don't chew on your pencil."

"Sit up straighter, pretty girls act like ladies."

"Put a smile on that face, nobody likes a downer."

"Don't act like such a prune, dearest."

Please get off my back. I obey her every time, of course. I'm scared of what that woman will do to me, and I'll be damned if I ever get another detention from her.

"Detention."

Oh, Merlin.

Luckily, it isn't for me. Just the student sitting next to me. What was he even doing wrong?

I stare straight ahead while she explains. "We just don't have time to sleep in class, Mister Criss. Meet me at 7. I have a rather special punishment."

We all know it's the same punishment as everyone else. We get to use the quill to cut words into our hands. How fun. Maybe he has some sort of hope left that he won't get that, but I'm not naive. I know.

If I haven't said it already, I'll say it again. Umbridge scares me. A lot. I don't know why she scares me so much, but she does. And I can't afford to get in trouble again.

So I'm torn in two when Hermione comes to me and asks if I'm joining Dumbledore's Army.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," I tell her. "Maybe some other time?"

She doesn't understand, even when I try to explain. I tell her Umbridge is going to find out and expel us, but she disagrees. She tells me it's only there to help us students.

Besides, she says, I need help, don't I?

I can't be mad at her for that. I've only been a witch for 2 years, and I do need all the help I can get. I tell her the most I'll do is consider it, but I'm still not sure.

The twins try to convince me to join as well. I tell them what I've told Hermione, but they don't seem too pleased.

At Hogsmeade, they all head to the Shrieking Shack without me.

It's not really against the rules, is it?

That makes me want to join it more, and Hermione is right about me needing it. Maybe it won't be so bad after all. Perhaps they'll let me visit sometime?

~~~~

Harry says I'm welcome anytime, so that's a huge relief. Hermione says so, too, but I have to stay if I go with them. They just need a place to practice their spells.

Eventually, Neville Longbottom finds a place, which surprises all of us. But it ends up being perfect. The Room of Requirement, the room I didn't even know existed.

Well, it only exists when you need it. It's very secure, and secret. That way nobody will ever find out that we're sneaking around teaching students to defend themselves.

I ended up missing the second meeting as well. This doesn't go well with Fred, but I keep telling him I need more time to think. Especially since Umbridge put out a new Educational Decree.

It's Educational Decree #24. It says, "All student organizations are henceforth disbanded. Any student in noncompliance will be expelled."

So I guess she suspected there is a club going on behind her back. If she can figure that out, wouldn't she be able to find all of us in it?

That doesn't make me want to be a part of it.

I don't know what decision I'll make in the long run, but I hope it's the right one.

~~~~
Published 5-10-20

Apologies for the short chapter.

Does anyone know Darren Criss?

"We just don't have time to sleep in class, Mister Criss." :)