Chapter 8 | Post-Birthday Introspection

Monday, September 11

Fred is fuming when Hermione and I tell him about McLaggen. It is the first time I've ever seen him seriously mad. If I'll be honest, it scares me.

I tell him to calm down and we will get him back, even worse than when I caused him to get a few detentions. This time, I hope we seriously ruin his life.

Harsh, I know. How am I in Gryffindor, where we are fair and brave? And here I am, lurking in the shadows, sneaking around to get back at someone who wronged me.

I ask myself, not for the first time, how am I not in Slytherin?

Sometimes it scares me, how much I act like one. Nevertheless, I still act the same. Even right now as I ponder about how to get back at McLaggen, I don't believe a Gryffindor would be quite like this.

Ah well, it's not like I'm going to stop.

"Fred, got any ideas?" I ask, lying on the warm grass, staring into the clouds.

He sighs, playing with his robes. "Not particularly."

"We could..." I search my brain for answers. Nothing comes up. "I.. Don't know."

We continue to think for several minutes. What does McLaggen dislike? We don't know. What does he like? Still, we don't know. We don't know a thing about this guy except that he's annoying and he likes girls.

"We could give him more detentions or something?" I already know it was a bad idea before Fred tells me so.

"You know, George told me we should prank him," Fred suggests.

"Of course he would tell you that," I say, dismissing it. I roll to my side, now face to face with Fred's thighs. My fingers find their way to his pockets and I play with the material.

Fred sighs. "Why don't we think about it some other time?"

I glance up at him. "Good idea. My brain hurts."

He lies down beside me so we are just staring at each other. He grins. "You're blushing."

"I am not," I protest.

He boops my nose.

"What do you say?" I narrow my eyes at him.

He rolls his eyes as a response and says, "Boop."

I smile, content. "You remembered." He nods and moves closer so his head is resting on the nape of my neck. Resting my chin on his head, I take his hand and play around with his fingers.

It feels so good to just hang around without work.

Fred lifts his head and his lips meet mine. I close my eyes and kiss him back, savoring every moment because I don't get these often.

~~~~

Last night wasn't as bad as I thought. I really did have a good time. Fred and George were with me almost the entire time, just in case anyone tried to be rude (like Percy) or anyone tried to take me from them.

Being "seduced" by McLaggen did not ruin my day at all, actually. My friends were awesome to me, I got a sweet Polaroid Sx-70 and the picture that seventh year took of the twins and I turned out beautiful.

So, no, I am not worried by McLaggen afterwards. I am merely bothered. And he'll regret trying to ruin my birthday.

But besides that, this was the best birthday yet.

Fred definitely made sure.

Yesterday

"(Y/N)," Fred calls in a sing-song voice. I look up from my camera, asking him what he wanted. This is the third time I cleaned my camera today, but I want it to look it's best.

"Come here," he whines. "It's your birthday and you've been spending time with that camera all day instead of me." He is joking, I know, but he still juts his lip out to pout.

"Okay, okay," I agree with a giggle. I set down the camera for the first time that day and go to sit by him.

"Not close enough," he says, pulling me right up next to him. I giggle again and rest my head on his chest.

"So needy," I tease.

He huffs and pats my cheek, causing me to wrinkle my nose. "Meanie." I take his hand and intertwine our fingers so he can't pat me.

"Bested me again," Fred informs me.

"Yeah, I always do." I reach up to kiss him on the cheek. I smile at how bright red his cheeks get. "You look flustered. Am I that endearing?"

Instead of answering, he leans down and kisses me, gently grasping my face with his other hand. This catches me off guard, but I kiss back with more force, as usual. He grins into the kiss and bites my lip.

Before I can counter his move, someone clears their throat in front of us. It is Ginny. My face becomes a deep red and I immediately pulls away from Fred.

"Hey, Gin."

She rolls her eyes. "I just need that book. Right- yeah, right there." I hand her the book on the shelf behind us.

"Alright." She turns to leave, but looks back. "You can, uh... Continue. 'Bye." She leaves.

We pause for a second. Fred attacks me again with more kisses but I have grown an appetite and feel too embarrassed to continue making out.

He pouts but still comes with me to get some dinner.

~~~~
Published 5-7-20

Definitely not my favorite chapter, but I enjoyed writing the scenes with Fred