Chapter 31

Baking with Zak is  somewhat...
Eventful.

I wasn't sure if he was trying to be cute, but his constant need for reassurance, that he was doing it right was adorable and I couldn't help but praise him up every time. We had made flapjacks, which were now cooling along side the soon to be gingerbread skeletons. I stood back and watched as Zak followed a recipe online on how to make brownies and so far it was going well.

"So now I whisk this shit up and boom. Brownies." He says.

I chuckle "Uh huh. Have you put Vanilla extract in?"

"Is that the weird brown liquid?"

"Yes."

"Then nope. Do I need too? It's a bit strange to have it in brownies, no?" He asks, picking it up from the island where we had all the ingredients laid out.

"I prefer it. It makes them taste better. You only need a little." I tell him as he cracks the top and almost pours half the bottle in.

"Oops.. What is next? After we do these?"

I look at the counter top now "Will the guys be able to eat all this?"

"Me and Billy probably consume this much whilst we review, we will get through it all right. Without a problem." He tells me. The idea perks me up and I grab the tablet to search up more recipes. "We still making cupcakes and cookies, yeah?"

"Absolutely." I reply as he begins placing the brownie batter into a square tin that I had greased and lined with baking parchment.

Once they were in the oven, he begins picking up the ingredients that I call out to him for the cupcakes. When he has it all set out, we take it step by step, together because I have noticed he gets heavy handed with a few ingredients.

When I called him out on it, he said it was an improved recipe.... Improved by him.

I'm setting out the cupcake trays that I am surprised he even owned when I realise he is quiet.. Too quiet. Looking up, I find him with a spoon, scraping up the batter and sneaking it into his mouth.

"Zak! No!" I laugh.

"But it tastes so good! This is my childhood, right here. Nostalgia!" He moans going for another spoonful.

"Is salmonella in that nostalgia? You're eating raw eggs." I tell him, trying to take the spoon off him. "Will you give that up, I thought you wanted to add blueberries to them?"

"I do." He muffles with the spoon sticking out of his mouth.

Shaking my head, I grab the blueberries from the fridge as he turns on the electric whisk again, preparing to mix them in. I walk over with the punnet, set on dumping them in, when Zak lifts the whisk up to give me room....

With the freakin' whisk still on!

Batter flings everywhere. Over him, over me, over the counter and even up the cupboard doors.

"Turn it off!" I laugh as he gasps and shoves it back into the bowl with so much force it scuttles away from him.

"Fuck! Fuck, fuck!"

When the whisk is finally shut off, I look at Zak and instantly laugh seeing batter across his face. "Wha- How?" I ask a little lost for words.

"I have no idea what I was thinking then. Jesus Christ. You... You got it in your hair."

I plant my hands on my hips and try to look a little annoyed, but we are both covered,  I can't maintain the look and start laughing again.

"Well I'll go get it out of my hair, you clean some of this up. I'll get you another t-shirt too." I tell him, pointing to the mess he has made.