Chapter 26

Zak POV

"She seems nice." My mom says from beside me making me jump.

"Jeeze! When did you learn to sneak up on people?"

She smiles looking at Elle's car disappears from view. "When I learned you had a new girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend."

I know I've said the wrong thing when my mom shoots me a glare. But how can she be my girlfriend when we haven't had the chat, what if Elle is happy being whatever we are?

"Then why was she in your house? I saw you two kissing."

"And you saw all that from the back room?" I question, looking down the hallway for added effect.

"Hush." She says, swatting my arm before walking across the lounge and standing at the doors leading to the back garden. "I worry about you.."

I want to tell her that I know. I know she is concerned with what I am doing and that she is worried that I have yet to settle down. But that wasn't me, I didn't want the suburban lifestyle. I didn't have a suburban job to begin with.

"You don't need to."

"Don't I?" She asks looking over her shoulder. "You are too flighty. Too quick to throw a woman away, when they could be really good for you."

"Mom-"

"No. You will listen." She says turning back to the garden. "I understand your job is... Different. I have accepted that, I accepted it a long time ago. I could see your passion and stepped aside, letting you do what you wanted. But I have to ask, when will you think about your personal life?"

"I am. I do."

"From the string of women I have passed over the years, I don't think you do."

My jaw ticks in annoyance but I don't say anything. You don't kick a cage of a tiger..

"The state of some of them." She shakes her head. "Barely a stitch of clothes and I know what you are going to say."   Her finger comes up in warning. "It's Vegas. What happens in Vegas staying in Vegas. But you live here Zak. We all live here."

I fold my arms listening to her, because in the past I have walked away, closed down the conversation not interested in hearing it, but I felt like I owed it to my mom to stand here. To let her get this off her chest once and for all. Hell I wish I had gotten that measuring tape..

"That woman is completely different than the rest." She says turning to eye me carefully. "Polite, well spoken, well dressed-"

"Go on." I interrupt. "Say it.... Full figured. Bigger than the woman that have come through here."

I was getting really fed up with people judging Elle before they had even gotten a chance to know her. First Billy, now my own mom.

She tilts her chin up. "She is a real woman from what I can see. Gracie clearly adores her. You clearly like her."

"And you're not a fan already?"

"Did I say that?" She bites. "I don't recall saying it. I am just saying that she is different and I hope that you appreciate it takes an special person to accept you for you."

"Gee, thanks."

"You know full well what I mean... Does she know what you do?"

"That I'm a male prostitute?"

"Zak." She warns.

"Yes, in fact that is what we did last night. We investigated at the museum. I have told her about the show, the museum and you know what? She isn't interested." I tell my mom who narrows her eyes slightly. "Yeah, I know. Weird right? I have told her things and she takes it aboard and moves straight on. Elle isn't like the others, mom."