2 | Demons Belong in Yomi

Start from the beginning

"I had my doubts that we would meet nature's deadline. My son broke his leg not too long ago, so it leaves me and the missus to harvest everything. I don't know if the gods heard my prayers, but somehow the corn has managed to stay in good condition all this time. We try to harvest a little every day, but this damn back seems to disagree with our plans every moment it can. I suppose it's the curse of being mortal and asking for more than I can return," Yamamato answered. "I may have to ask for help in the city at this rate."

Sensei nods in response before suggesting, "It sounds like misfortune has befallen you. I can send word to my disciples and ask for a few of them to help you complete your harvest before winter arrives. And perhaps one of them can take a look at your son's leg and offer some remedies to speed up his recovery. I have a few students who have displayed significant improvement with their healing powers."

"Oh no! I couldn't possibly trouble you for such a minor thing. You and your students are busy keeping Japan safe."

"It's no trouble. Your crops are what keeps the people fed during the harsh winter. I send for a few to visit you. They will present the school's insignia to you, proving their identity. Remember, you mustn't trust strangers. If anything seems odd, please don't hesitate to report it the Academy." He tosses a piece of paper to Yamamoto and bows to him. "If you place that talisman on your door, you will be safe from evil spirits."

"Thank you, Aihara-san. My wife and I will be indebted to you. Best wishes on your journey!" Yamamoto grips the talisman tightly and bows to us to reciprocate his respect to Sensei.

We continue on the dirt path in silence, but the nagging question remains in my mind. "Sensei, how did you know something happened to Yamamoto-san and his family? Was it through divination?"

"Divination is helpful to identifying future threats to our nation, but it is not always the proper tool. Although it provides helpful insight, it can also be used as a weapon against you, which is why you should be mindful not to rely on it all the time, Soichiro. As you develop your abilities as an Onmyōji, you will uncover other methods to identifying and resolving a problem," Sensei answers. "As an Onmyōji, you must be vigilant and find the things that do not fit, in order to see what isn't meant to be."

See what isn't meant to be? What does he mean by that? "But Sensei, I still don't understand."

"You will in time." A smile appears on his face, as if he's made a remarkable discovery. "And there is the source of the problem."

My gaze shifts to where his attention is focused on. My eyes widen in astonishment as they meet the sickly stare of a supernatural being. It's green as a swamp, with webbed hands and feeds and a turtle shell on its back. Atop its head sits a dish-like depression, but water no longer flows from it. I immediately recognize the humanoid creature as a kappa.

In my textbooks, the kappa is a type of yōkai, but described as friendly to human beings unless provoked. They are said to be knowledgeable about medicine, as they possess secrets of ancient healing techniques. However, this information won't make Sensei hesitate from exorcising it.

The kappa is smaller in size, its movements slow and feeble like it's dying. Sensei pulls out his amulet, a powerful artifact he uses to purify areas and banish yōkai from this world and send them straight to Yomi for eternity. Upon instinct, I reach for his arm, forcing him to stop. He glances up at me in surprise, wondering why I stopped him.

"Remove your hand, Soichiro," he says firmly.

"Sensei, this creature is obviously dying. Can't we just leave it be? It's not hurting anyone. The water from his dish has dried up, and his size suggests he is a youngling," I explain. "Why does it have to die by our hands? If anything, he must be the reason Yamamoto's crops haven't died yet. The water had a strange aura to it, like it'd been tampered with, but I thought maybe I sensed it incorrectly. I can see now, this creature is the reason we have food."

"You feel empathy for this creature? A yōkai? Do you know what yōkai are capable of, Soichiro? They can destroy families, crush towns, and dethrone emperors. If we allow this one to live, should we do the same with the others? No matter what good deeds it commits, it is still a yōkai. The supernatural is not meant to interact with what is natural, it defies nature and it threatens man's existence." His brow furrows in fury, fire dancing as his eyes as he glares at me like he would any other monster.

"B-but Sensei, it hasn't done anything wrong."

"Yet. It hasn't done anything wrong, yet."

He lunges forward and brands the kappa with his amulet, causing it to wail in agony. The few drops of water in its dish turns scarlet, and the air retains the familiar metallic, yet gut-wrenching scent of blood. All I can do is watch is shock, powerless and helpless. I ball my hands into fists at my sides, forcing myself to turn away, unable to watch the young yōkai cry out for its mother in its final moments.

The water in the fields turn blood red, and the crops rapidly shrivel up and blackened as if they had never reached full fruition.

With a paintbrush, Sensei writes 'banishment' in Japanese letters on a white piece of paper that I immediately recognize as an ofuda. He watches with an apathetic expression as the kappa burns in bright yellow flames as its soul is carried to the pits of Yomi. All I can do is watch in shock, powerless and helpless.

When the screaming ceases, my cheeks feel damp and my palms are sore from my fingernails digging into them. Sensei avoids meeting my eyes as he walks past me. "He didn't need to die," I whisper.

"I will only say this one last time, Soichiro. It doesn't matter if they are committing good or evil deeds. Yōkai are abominations of nature. They were the Gods' way of helping us determine right and wrong, the path of righteousness and corruption. This creature's presence defied the laws of nature by allowing Yamamoto's crops to last this long. I had hoped it hadn't affected him and the other farmers, but sometimes we cannot get what we always wish for. If we open our hearts to one yōkai, what's to stop us from doing the same to others? They'll do what they do best: manipulate those around them into trusting them, holding everyone's hearts in the palm of their hands, waiting to eat it as we take our last breath." He patted my shoulder. "Every disciple is like a son to me. Don't squander your potential because of that creature. Recognize it is us against them, and it is important that we come out as the victors."

"Is that why you brought me out here?"

"It is an important lesson I try to impart on each and every one of my disciples. After observing you in your training, I knew you would only come to terms with that if you witnessed it firsthand. A harsh way of teaching, yet effective." He patted me on the shoulder. "This is a difficult job for anyone, but I hope you learn this lesson quickly for the sake of your life. Purify this area before returning to the Academy. Yamamoto and the other farmers won't remember most of our conversation from earlier, including any interactions he may have had with that kappa. He will only know he needs to place the enchantment on his door for protection." He walks off in the direction of town with the goal of returning to town, his stride never breaking in confidence.

"How can you separate yourself from your emotions and kill so easily? Doesn't a part of you feel the slightest bit guilty for killing such a young, helpless yōkai?" I ask quietly, knowing I will never get the answer I desire from Sensei.

────────────────