2 | Demons Belong in Yomi

────────────────

Fukuma Soichiro

"Where are we going today, Sensei?" I ask, glancing at my teacher.

Aihara Shinzo—a powerful Onmyōji, whose powers are almost legendary. Some may even go as far as calling him a god. His knowledge of the mystical arts even makes yōkai tremble in his presence. With the growing threat of yōkai in Tochigi, he opened a school to train young men into becoming formidable Onmyōjis themselves. I was still relatively new, unable to conjure shikigamis like some of the other students my age. And yet, my teacher found me promising enough to take me on one of his missions.

"There's been a reported sighting of a yōkai in the outskirts. The person who spotted it said it's been imposing its influence on the farmers. Since a budding Onmyōji can only improve his abilities through training, I thought it would be best if you came along with me. It is a lesser yōkai, but still a threat," he answers.

"I've never seen a yōkai up close. I wonder what kind of amazing powers they'll have," I ponder out loud. Aihara comes to an abrupt stop and I end up bumping into him from behind. "Sensei?"

He spins around suddenly, his features contorted into anger. "There is nothing amazing about yōkai, Soichiro. The sooner you learn that, the better. However, I'll admit there is one thing we can all learn from monsters like them. Yōkai don't know anything but corruption. They are a good example of what happens when you listen to your dark side's selfish desires. You must never give in to temptation, or else it could mean your life. Focus on what you know best as my disciple—sending those monsters back to where they rightfully belong: Yomi."

"Y-Yes, Sensei," I reply, even though I want to disagree with him and explain how there could be good yōkai. The dark expression on his face made me hesitate. His smoldering eyes silently dares me to defy him, to give him a reason to discipline me for going against his orders. His reaction reminds me I'm not here to have fun, I'm here to learn.

We take a carriage to the outskirts and my teacher pays the driver in silver coins. I look around, searching for signs of the malevolent yōkai that has Sensei spooked. However, all my eyes can find are tall corn stalks and marsh farmlands. It is peacefully quiet, as the farmers in the fields wave to us in greeting when we walk past them.

"It's nice to see you again, Aihara-san," one farmer calls out. "Traveling with your new disciple, I see. What brings you all the way out here when you've got a prestigious school to run?"

"Ah, Yamamoto-san, is that you?" Sensei answers, turning in the direction his name was called. I turn around to see a bald, middle-aged man who is nearly knee-deep in the water. Something strange glows on the surface, but when I blink a few times, it disappears. I assume it must have been the sun. "I almost didn't recognize you underneath all that mud!"

"Such is the life of a farmer," the man chuckles.

"How has the harvest been? Isn't it a bit late to be planting seeds this time of year? Winter will be here before you know it."

Sensei's words capture my attention as I realize we are about a month away until the new year. It's also getting a little late for corn harvesting. How did they perserve it so well as the temperature drops? My gaze shifts to Sensei and I watch him smile brightly at the man, a smile I'd only seen when he wanted something. He's trying to get information from the farmer without arousing suspicion.