Epilogue

Kanomo lay on her back, staring at the ceiling of her new cell. It wasn't a cell so much as it was a tent, and she could really leave at any time. It was just that if she did, she was going to have to fight her way through the entire serpentine encampment, and that was something she wasn't ready for.

From her left, there came a slight rustling sound, and the tent flap was opened to admit a visitor. From her position on her back, with her hands bound painfully beneath her body, and her feet tied tightly to a heavy weight, she could only turn her head to see who had arrived. She grit her teeth when she saw it was Skales, standing in the entranceway, grinning down at her with those mesmerizing red eyes pulsating.

"So," he said, his forked tongue slipping out of his mouth and raking the top of his teeth, "Kanomo, you called yourself."

Even if she could have answered, Kanomo wouldn't have spoken a word. She knew she was in hot water-- if the serpentine had been willing to trade away three warriors in exchange for her, then they must know who she was. Still, keeping up the charade couldn't hurt-- there was always a chance that they didn't really know her secret.

"You've alluded us for years," Skales went on, slithering towards her to loom above her head. He smiled down at her as she tried to spit out her gag, clearly enjoying himself immensely. "You were never anything but trouble for us, do you realize? I always hated you."

Kanomo grit her teeth harder, trying to gnaw her way through the filthy rag they'd tied her mouth closed with, but to no avail. Skales had begun to pace around her in slow, agonizing circles, his hand clasped behind his back.

"But we've caught you at last," he said proudly, "we've finally got you here, with us, all trussed up and speechless..." he chuckled. "But you aren't here just so we can taunt you, oh no. You see, you're very important to us, because there is someone who loves you very much, someone who may be willing to bargain with us, just to keep you alive."

Kanomo's eyes widened, and she tried desperately to plead with Skales, but all that came out was muffled gasps. Skales laughed, bending down to be level with her head, running a cold, scaled hand down her cheek, touching her neck lightly. She flinched away and he laughed again.

"You're secret it out," he whispered, "now just relax, and revel in the fact that there is nothing more you can do for your husband."

Kanomo went white, her blood freezing in her veins. They knew. They knew, and they were going to use him, hurt him, maybe even kill him...

"Yes, yes, love," Skales said, his voice so low it was barely a whisper, "I know who you really are." He bowed his head, placing his mouth directly beside her ear, his breathe hot on her skin.

"Misako."