Chapter Eleven: Shadow and Chaos

Pythor had no idea how to sail, and it showed. For the past half hour, Lloyd had been hunched against the side of the sailboat he'd stolen, his hand bound behind it back, a thick, filthy rag stuffed in his mouth, being bumped and jostled mercilessly as the boat swayed wildly in the waves, which weren't even rough. The daylight was fading, and soon, night would fall, and the sea would grow cold and even more miserable than it already was. Lloyd had the feeling that Pythor was not going to have too much sympathy for him, and he was mentally preparing himself for a long and extremely uncomfortable night.

It didn't help that while the rag kept him from speaking, Pythor was free to insult and taunt him every chance he got. He had taken to referring to the ninja as 'those bumbling idiots' and had graced Lloyd with the lovely nickname of pig boy.

"We're almost there, so shut your whining," Pythor said, deaf to Lloyd's inability to speak. "It's time to meet some old friends of mine."

Lloyd raised an eyebrow, hoping that Pythor would not notice his spiking anxiety. Anyone who was an old friend of Pythor's he did not want to meet.

"I'm sure you're wondering where we're going," Pythor went on, his back turned to Lloyd as he struggled with the ropes of the sail, "I guess I can tell you, seeing as you won't be escaping any time soon, and you'll be dead soon, anyways." Lloyd's blood ran icy. "If you must know, I am going to free all the other serpentine tribes from their cruel imprisonment." He turned back to Lloyd, smiling toothily. "Doesn't that sound lovely?"

Even if he could have, Lloyd would not have responded. He was too busy hoping wildly for a miracle, and imagining, to keep himself sane, that the ninja were coming for him as fast as they could.

-------------------------------------------

"I cannot believe Wu dipped on us like that," Kai grumbled for the umpteenth time, "who does he think we are? We just met each other a few days ago, Lloyd's been abducted, and he won't even tell us where he's going!"

"He's going to free Garmadon," Zane said, as the only ninja who was even willing to speak to Kai anymore, "as we all agreed. He told us we needed someone with the element of power--"

"We don't know for sure," Kai said loudly, "and anyways, we don't need him." He looked pointedly over at Lexi, who had her nose in a book and was trying very hard to ignore him. "That's what she's for, isn't she?"

"I'm not for anything," Lexi snapped, lowering the book to glare at Kai, "I'm a part of this team because I chose to be with my real family, not because you all decided you needed my power." She tossed her head loftily. "If that was why I was here, I promise you I wouldn't stick around very long."

Before Kai could snap back at her, Nya entered the living room and silenced him with a single stony look. "Zane," she said, completely ignoring the glares that Lexi and Kai were shooting each other across the table, "how soon will the sensei be back, exactly?"

"If he truly went to find his brother," Zane replied, "then I estimate he will return within the next twenty-four hours." He turned to Lexi, extending a hand, which she regarded warily. "Come with me," he said, his tone flat. She stared up at him, considering a moment, and then rose and followed him from the room, leaving her book behind on the table. Kai's glare followed her until Nya swatted him on the arm.

Zane led her to the deck, where he stood at the railing and looked out over the sea. Lexi's heart gave a sudden throb as she remembered that this was the exact spot she had been standing when she had done nothing to save Lloyd. She watched Zane warily, half-wondering if she was about to be punished for not saving Lloyd.

"You know," Zane said at length, his tone perfectly level and calm, "I have always found sunrises more appealing than sunsets. Both are beautiful, of course, but different, and meaningful in their own way."