Chapter 18

(Seina's POV)
With the summer holidays fast approaching, the host club held another outdoor event. Traditional dress and ponytails included. Even Haruhi had hair extensions in which left her looking suspiciously feminine considering she was pretending to be a boy. The event turned out to be very popular, with even Kyoya being so swamped with guests that he had to stop working and concentrate on the guests for the time being. Even if it was only to swindle money from them.
Haruhi had been studiously avoiding me ever since the party, something which was giving Kyoya no end of amusement. However, she couldn't avoid me forever and this event was the perfect time to corner her.
'Haruhi. It's not what you think.'
'Seina please don't insult me. I may not be rich and I may be unfamiliar with such things, but I am fairly confident that people do not kiss like that on a casual basis. It means something.' I ignored the accusation and turned it back around to her.
'You've been avoiding me.' She looked away and refused to meet my eyes.
'Maybe.'
'Why?'
'Because you're my friend Seina and I want you to be happy and if Kyoya-senpai makes you happy that's great, but Seina you're to be engaged! Getting involved with him will only hurt you in the long term. I think you need to end things with him and I didn't want to or know how to tell you that.' She looked slightly embarrassed by her outburst and I offered her a sad smile, abandoning pretences.
'It's ok Haruhi. I know exactly what I've gotten myself into. I'm being careful. I won't allow myself to fall in love with him so I'll be alright.' The words slipped easily from my lips but my heart felt heavy in my chest and I found I could not look to where I knew he stood.
I had decided to head over to Mori-senpai and Honey-senpai when a ball went flying towards Haruhi. Tamaki-senpai, in a misguided attempt to protect her, sent her tumbling to the ground in a haphazard heap. Enraged Tamaki-senpai grabbed the ball and gave it an impressive kick which sent it flying far above the school building, a few seconds later there was a horrendous shattering sound as the ball came crashing back down and through a window.

It didn't take long to work out which room the window belonged to and we were quickly assembled in the newspaper clubroom, Tamaki-senpai apologising profusely on his knees for inadvertently harming their club president. The room was full to bursting with unsold copies of the gossip rag they called a newspaper, only a small path remained clear from the door to the desk. I stood in the background as despite my 'membership' I was not a host. However, the victim in question seemed relatively unconcerned by his injury and took the opportunity to make a proposition.
The twins were quick to refuse and began dragging Haruhi towards the door. Kyoya, unable to see anything he could gain from the situation agreed with Mori-senpai and Honey-senpai close on his heels. Although I wasn't sure about being involved with such an unscrupulous trio of liars, having people owe you a favour was never bad in business. Plus this was clearly very important to Tamaki-senpai who seemed desperate to help them. I put a sympathetic hand on the older student's shoulder, which he grabbed for support.
'Hold it!' He shouted after the others in a surprisingly commanding voice. For half a second I was impressed, especially when they all halted, but he quickly began babbling about families staying together and not being broken apart. All the while shaking my shoulder and sobbing loudly. 'This is an order from your club president! I will not allow you to refuse!' His authority was temporarily regained then shattered by the outright refusal of Kyoya and the twins.

Back in the club room Tamaki-senpai began sulking immediately and refused to even remove his costume. Mori-senpai and Honey-senpai resumed their activities as usual, taking tea with a generous portion of cake for Honey-senpai. Kyoya, Haruhi and the twins stood and watched Tamaki-senpai fidgeting with the ball which had caused the whole problem in the first place.
I sat down quietly next to Tamaki-senpai, making it clear where my loyalties lay in all this. He was still mumbling to myself about clubs being families.
Haruhi tilted her head to one side. 'Would it really be so bad to help the newspaper club?' The twins scoffed at her.
'Wow it's not like you to side with his highness.'
'It's not that!' She insisted. 'I just have a feeling he's going to begin using his puppy eyes on us any second now. Then we won't be able to resist.'
'You've gained some experience points huh?'
'Besides, Hikaru isn't this the kind of thing you guys would usually go for?' Despite only Hikaru having been asked, the twins answered in unison once again.
'Not especially, this time it will be nothing but trouble.'
She then turned imploringly to Honey-senpai who told her altogether too cheerfully that he would have to reluctantly decline on the grounds that he had far too much cake to eat.
As if on cue, perhaps because like me he could hear exactly what they were saying, Tamaki-senpai began glancing over at them, eyes large and pleading. Haruhi went down first, then the twins. Finally Kyoya gave way announcing that there would be conditions to the deal. These were effectively, his control over article outlines, no intrusive viewing of guest-host interactions and no interviews. Tamaki-senpai seemed satisfied so I gave a small nod of approval, not that my opinion counted for much. Once Kyoya had agreed of course the others all gave way, much to the chagrin of poor Haruhi.