Chapter 10

(Seina's POV)
Every single week without fail, the host club seemed to get themselves into some sort of situation. It was sweet that Tamaki-senpai always wanted to help everyone but it seemed to often end up causing people trouble. I entered the host club carrying a new stack of books. I had been busy working for my Uncle the day before and hadn't gotten round to visiting. Therefore I was blissfully spared from their Arabian themed day with the obligatory over the top decorations and costumes. It seemed impossible that anything significant could have occurred in my brief absence.
Naturally I was wrong. As I walked in I looked around to see who had space at their table and did a double take when I saw Tamaki-senpai. At first glance everything was normal, he had a girl's face tilted towards his and was muttering sweet nothings to her. However, there was a little boy in an elementary school uniform sat no more than a foot away, staring intently at them.
I wandered over to where Haruhi was standing next to Kyoya-senpai.
'That looks a little too close for comfort.' I observed. Haruhi nodded in agreement.
'It must be making things more difficult.' Kyoya-senpai shook his head, taking a book from the top of my pile and flicking through it.
'No Tamaki-senpai believes he becomes proportionally more beautiful the closer you get to him. I would just leave them to it.'
'Who is he?'
'Shiro Takaoji. He turned up yesterday and insisted that Tamaki-senpai accept him as his apprentice.'
Before Haruhi could say anything, Tamaki-senpai's guest came running past us in tears having been called a 'carp' by the boy. Tamaki-senpai looked as traumatised as she was but Hikaru seemed impressed by this performance which made Kaoru jealous, causing yet another display of twincest.
The poor kid scrambled away from them, understandably shocked by their behaviour. Unimpressed I grabbed each twin by their hair and yanked them to me.
'He is a child.' I hissed. 'Could you two try to behave appropriately for once in your lives?'
'Of course Seina.' They grinned and began yet another attempt to seduce me, hands at my waist and face. Burdened by my books I didn't have hands free to deal with them so I did the next best thing.
'Mori-senpai! Help!' My older friend immediately freed me from their embrace, giving them a stern look. He then turned to a sobbing Honey-senpai who had apparently just had the pleasure of meeting Shiro-kun.
I spun around to see where Haruhi had gone and spotted her talking to the boy.
'It is a bit overwhelming isn't it? It took me ages to get used to it.' He looked up at her suspiciously, probably observing her slight figure and long eyelashes.
'Are you queer?' Before she could confirm or deny the twins and Tamaki-senpai had jumped into reaffirm her gender. The boy then turned to me.
'You're actually a girl right?' I nodded.
'You're beautiful.' He looked at my books. 'But nerdy.'
I knelt down so I was on his level. 'Of course I am beautiful and nerdy. Do you know what that means?' He shook his head. 'It means that I am the smartest girl here and one day I will be the most powerful woman in Japan. Can I call you Shiro-kun?' He nodded, staring at me with admiring eyes.
I stood back up again, a victorious smile on my face. The hosts were all watching me and I heard the twins mutter. 'Propaganda.'
I shrugged them off and they began berating him once again, shoving a tea set into his hands which fell and shattered on the floor. Shiro-kun then blamed the incident on Haruhi and Kyoya-senpai charged her 100,000 yen for the damages. I shot him a disapproving look even as a cage came down on the boy.
Me and Haruhi exchanged an astounded look. 'What is a cage doing in the music room?'
The boy shook with rage as he tugged at the bars.
'Let me out of here!' Tamaki-senpai was now lounging at ease.
'Not until you learn your lesson. I thought you wanted to be a host.' The boy tried the bars again before sinking to his knees.
'Let me out. I want to be a host. I don't have much time! You like to make girls happy don't you? Show me! You're meant to be a genius at this, king!' That was enough to launch Tamaki-senpai to his feet, proud tears glistening in his eyes.
'You remind me of myself when I was younger!'
Haruhi scoffed. 'Poor kid.'
Once the two were reconciled the matter at hand turned to his host type, since the existing hosts covered all the main bases.
This was when Renge-san emerged once again from the floor and announced that they were struggling because they were oversimplifying a complex issue.
'He is the naughty little boy type!'
She then initiated a training course to teach the boy the basics of his character. These were apparently shorts, skinned knees and shaking off injury with defiance.
He tried hard and the hosts were impressed at his effort. However, he wasn't so pleased. Shiro-kun denounced us all as idiots.
'This will never make her happy!' He then rushed out of the door.
I turned to Haruhi and mouthed 'Her?'. She had clearly picked up on the same thing and nodded thoughtfully. She then turned to Tamaki-senpai who was in a bitter rage.
'Senpai aren't you worried about him? I mean what does he not have enough time for? He also mentioned a 'her'.'
Quickly a plan was devised which involved disguising Honey-senpai as an elementary school student and Haruhi as a middle school student and sneaking into Ouran's elementary school building. Thankfully I was too tall to pass as a younger student and there was a danger I might be recognised anyway as my siblings attended. Despite this I was dragged along by the other hosts all the same.
Honey-senpai and Haruhi went ahead, checking Shiro-kun's classroom but finding it  empty. Upon hearing this, the rest of us filed into the room. It was a weird sort of de ja vu being here again. Then we heard footsteps and had to hide.
I ducked under the teacher's desk, only for someone else to squeeze in beside me. I turned to face them only to find myself nose to nose with Kyoya-senpai. I blushed furiously at how close we were but didn't dare move. His cheeks were also tinged pink and I could feel the heat radiating from him as his breath fanned across my face. Perhaps Tamaki-senpai was onto something with his theory of proportionate beauty because in that moment Kyoya-senpai looked positively breathtaking.
I leaned away the couple of centimetres I could manage but it didn't seem to make any difference. 'Kyoya-senpai...' Then his finger was suddenly pressed to my lips. Footsteps were approaching. I held my breath, unsure how we would explain our situation when all of a sudden Haruhi appeared.
'What are you two still doing under there? Come on. Honey-senpai found a clue.'
Snapping back to reality I took her proffered hand and allowed her to pull me to my feet. Aware of how flustered I probably looked I fixed my attention on smoothing out my uniform and straightening the cuffs. The clue was a photo of Shiro-kun sat at a piano beside a little girl of about the same age.
'The classical music club.'
I snuck a glance at Kyoya-senpai out of the side of my eye as he spoke. His cheeks were still flushed and I tried to ignore the tightening in my chest. I couldn't stand him. I hated him. I had to be coming down with something. I had a fever. That was all it was.

We found the room for the classical music club with ease and peered through the window. Inside Shiro-kun was approached by the little girl from the photo, then she went to sit at the grand piano. As she played I longed to join her. I wanted to run my fingers over the keys and create beautiful music. The boy looked enchanted by her as her fingers danced along the piano. It had to be her. He wanted to please her.
Another girl came out of the room and was immediately accosted by Tamaki-senpai who turned on the charm and handed her a rose. She then told us that Shiro-kun's friend was called Hina and she was leaving for Germany. Predictably, it didn't take long for the boy to spot us lurking outside and come out and confront us. Tamaki-senpai simply grabbed the shrieking ball of rage and tossed him unceremoniously over his shoulder.
Once we reached the host club he was then dumped on one of the sofas to face Tamaki-senpai.
'How could we possibly have helped you learn to please girls when really you wanted to make one specific girl happy? Hina-chan right?' The little boy seemed to deflate slightly as he slumped forwards.
'It's too late. I just want to watch her play as often as I can before she leaves.'
'You must confront her not as a host but as a man. You do not want to become a fully fledged host you wish to be a fully fledged man. She wants to play together with you Shiro-kun! So starting now you will train, mornings, breaks and after school.'
With a dramatic flourish he walked over to a large floor to ceiling curtain and yanked it back to reveal a beautiful grand piano. Why did they have it hidden away?
He then sat down and played. I stared at him astonished, I knew he studied music also but I had never heard him play before and I was taken aback by the emotion he put into the song. The boy looked as impressed as I was.
To his credit, Shiro-kun turned up everyday at the specified time and practiced hard. He was certainly devoted to the girl. He made steady progress and eventually the day of his planned recital came. The host club dressed in white suits to welcome her and I stood off to one side, not wanting to get in the way. She seemed nervous when she arrived with her invitation, probably intimidated by her unfamiliar surroundings and the older boys. However, when she spotted Shiro-kun sat at the piano, she immediately relaxed and smiled, sitting beside him. They then played their duet all the way through, never making a mistake.
In the end things had worked out ok. Haruhi was smiling too. She always seemed happy when one of Tamaki-senpai's hare brained schemes went well.
'He loves her deeply, huh? Is that something else he shares with you Tamaki-senpai?' He gave her a soft smile.
'Of course.' I looked up at Kyoya-senpai.
'He loves her doesn't he?' The older boy gave me a quick nod.
'I believe he does.'
I sighed. Everything seemed to always come back to love. He quirked an eyebrow at me.
'You seem disappointed.'
'No. It's not that. I suppose I'm perhaps a little jealous. It would be nice to be loved. To be happy.' I matched my words with a sad smile.
'Seina-san...'
'Oh I'm not complaining. I am lucky to be in my situation. I'll make things work.' He didn't say anything else, he just stood there beside me, even as the others lost interest. Somehow I felt better for his company.

A couple of weeks later, Hina-chan had been in Germany for a while and Shiro-kun was really settling into the swing of things in the host club. He was very popular and regularly requested as a host. I couldn't help wondering if he was as honest with Hina-chan about his activities as he claimed but he really did email her everyday. Occasionally he would come and sit beside me with a laptop and check spellings with me as he typed. I didn't mind.
Tamaki-senpai was predictably having a hard time accepting this change but the twins were on hand to physically restrain him where necessary. However, I had a feeling his distress would be short lived, children do after all have a short attention span.