Chapter 7

Cat's P.O.V
I stare at the seemingly empty building, waiting for the others to get back. Beside me on the seat is Judith, who is leaned up against the door asleep. Little Beth is in a car seat we found a week ago, fast asleep as well. I grip the gun in my hand and keep an eye out for any danger.

The house being over run and Amelia's death was almost two weeks ago, and we have been on the run ever since. I am at the point now where it was near impossible to do anything and I am becoming more of a burden than anything. Daryl has also become more protective and overbearing which frustrates me to no end.

At the moment, the others are in the department store before me searching for supplies. Daryl had said, no demanded, that I stay in the car with the kids with the doors locked. He also wanted either Abraham or Travis to stay with me but I told them I would be fine by myself and that with more hands we could get more supplies. Reluctantly Daryl agreed with me and went into the department store with the others. It's been awhile since they went in and I begin to grow anxious, wondering what's taken them so long.

I glance out the window to see if there is any sign of them when a see a walker begin to approach the car. The creature is disgusting, it's jaw hanging on by a thread and most of it's body decomposed. The walker slams against the door, it's teeth snapping at the glass to get inside. Beth begins to stir underneath the window and opens her eyes, letting out a cry.

"It's okay." I say, soothing her but she continues to cry.

I pick her up and begin to rock her from side to side, attempting to get her quiet. Soon a bang is heard from the other side of the car and I look to see two walkers there. As I gaze out the windscreen I gasp in terror. A dozen or so walkers surround the car and begin to pound at the car, trying to break the glass. Judith wakes up and begins to scream beside me, her cries mixing with Beth's.

I hold both of the children tight and look around, trying to find a way to escape. I pull my knife from my belt and see a gun in the front on the dash. I try to reach through without hurting Beth or Judith, but I can't quite reach. I hear a crack from the back of the car and turn around. In the back window, cracks begin to form as the strength of the walkers break through.

"Shit!"

My heart pounds within my chest as I desperately search for a way out. I look above and see a sunroof in the car and an idea forms, not the best idea but it will have to do. I place Beth back in her seat and make sure that the window is secured before reaching up. I push my knife in the gap and try to pry it open, it slowly shifting out of the way.

I push and push until I can use my hands to open it the whole way. I look at the girls and decide how I can best get them out of here. I take off my jacket and tie it around my body so Beth can stay in the sling. I grab her and place her in the jacket and grab Judith, who is screaming. I quickly grab the gun from the front of the car and I lift Judith through the roof and place her on the top and slowly make my way through, trying my best to not hurt Beth or the baby.

I reach the top of the car and look around for any signs of the others. The car is relatively tall so the walkers struggle to reach us. I pick up Judith and hold her to my side opposite Beth and desperately search for a way out.

I feel a tugging at my leg and look down to see a walker about ready to bite me. I scream and aim the gun at it, shooting it through the head. I continue to shoot until I run out of bullets, but a few walkers still remain. As one reaches up an arrow pierces it's skull and collapses on the floor on top of the others. Soon the car is surrounded by the group and the walkers fall.

I stare out in the distance in shock as people begin to climb on the car towards me. I hear them talking and touching me, but I can't seem to comprehend what's happening. I feel Judith being taken away and Beth taken out of the sling. Someone stands in front of me and blocks my vision and I look up, Daryl stands in front of me with a worried expression, saying something I can't hear.