Chapter 3

Cat's P.O.V
The sound of the door opening causes me to awake from a deep sleep. I look around and notice that there isn't a sign of anyone in the room. I ignore the weird feeling in my stomach and decide to get up. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and reach for my boots, eventually putting them on. I stand up and make my way out into the hall.

"Morning Hemmings."

"Morning Grimes."

Carl exits his room and walks over towards me, engulfing me in a hug. He pulls back and looks down at me with a bright smile.

"What're you doing up so early?" He asks, walking with me towards the stairs.

"Something woke me up. What about you?" I say, reaching the stairs.

He wraps and arm around my waist to steady me as we walk down the stairs, "We're going on a run and I'm driving." He tells me smugly.

"I cannot believe that you're driving. I swear not too long ago you were some little kid, that was extremely cautious of me and wanted to know my story." I chuckle.

"I'm still the same kid but I'm taller, bulkier and beginning to grow facial hair." He replies.

I laugh at his words and slip on the last step, landing on my ass. I suck in a breath and reach down to inspect my ankle.

"Shit!" I hiss as I touch the throbbing flesh.

"Are you okay?" Carl asks, leaning down in front of me.

"I'm fine, just twisted my ankle." I say.

"I'm so sorry Cat!" He apologises, his hands fluttering over my ankle.

"I'm fine Grimes, just help me up." I say, pushing myself up with my arms.

"No you're not walking." Carl says.

He loops his arms under my shoulders and knees and picks me up with ease. He walks me into the kitchen and places me down on a kitchen stool, looking for the first aid kit.

"What's going on here?"

I turn and see a blonde, skinny tall kid walk in and look us over. Hayden joined us a month ago with his sister Amelia, who both happened to be nurses. We found them when we were scouring a drug store for supplies and they happily joined our group, fitting in easily. Amelia ended up getting together with Tracis, while Hayden found Elise who died a few weeks ago.

"She tripped on the last step and hurt her ankle." Carl explains.

"Let me have a look." Hayden says, walking towards me.

He bends down in front of me and pulls my boot off slowly, making it as painless as possible. His soft fingers begin to probe at the skin and I wince as he pushes on the swollen flesh. He pulls his hand back and looks up at me.

"It's always you that gets hurt isn't it?" He chuckles.

"Hey, if you haven't noticed I can't see my feet anymore so excuse me for slipping on the last step!" I whisper yell.

"You're fine, I'll strap and you need to stay off it for a few days. But you haven't let me check you're hip from yesterday." He says.

I roll my eyes, "Rick told you did he?"

"He's just worried for you, and he's not the only one who told me to check up on you." He mutters, reaching for a bandage.

"Who else asked you?" I question confused.

He looks up at me for a moment, with a look that says 'Who do you think?'. But I am confused as to who it could be.

"I have no idea."