Wine and Dine

It seemed as though the phone calls were never ending, and almost every conversation was the same. The phone would ring maybe two to three times, then someone would answer the phone. They would sound very professional, maybe they are secretaries? Then I would say, “Good morning. I am just calling to confirm (Mr. or Mrs. [Insert name here]) appointment on (insert date and time here).” Then they would say thank you and hang up.

Every once in a while Mr. Hollington would walk into the office to ask how things were going and then grab something and leave. He would do this maybe every half hour, and it was beginning to get on my nerves.

I brought the phone up to my ear once more like I have done for the thousandth time. It rung twice then a very feminine voice answered the phone. “How may I help you?”

“Good morning, I am just calling to confirm Mr. Leslies’ appointment on August 2nd at 2:30.”

“Oh yes. Master Leslies has asked for me to inform Mr. Hollington that he no longer would like to have Jessica. That if Mr. Hollington still wants Master Leslies’ business, he will send someone who is not as chatty.” I wasn’t sure how to answer that.

“Chatty?” It was the only word I could really get to come out of my mouth. Everything that this woman has just said doesn’t make any since to me.

“You know? Talkative. Master Leslies cannot enjoy his meal when Jessica is constantly running her mouth.” What in the hell kind of business is Mr. Hollington running here?

“I’ll be sure to pass on the message.”

“Thank you.” She hung up. This woman kept referring to Mr. Leslies as “master.” What is she? His slave? And he wants someone who isn’t as chatty?...Oh my god! He is running a prostitution business. Or worse, he deals in human trafficking!

Wow Sarah, don’t get ahead of yourself here. You only had one conversation. She could have meant several other things.

Besides, I can’t just go and ask Mr. Hollington what kind of business he is running here. That is against my contract and I don’t want to make him mad again. I would like to enjoy the lunch we are having together today. It would be nice to have a conversation without us being upset with one another.

I made the last few phone calls in a hurry, because not only was I tired of calling people, I was also hungry.

Cassie and Jacob was sitting at their desks, talking on their phones. It sounded like they were confirming appointments as well. Jacob winked at me while he was talking to the other person on the line.

“Are you through Ms. Flowers?” Mr. Hollington came walking from around the corner. I could feel that magic filling the pit of my stomach again.

“Yes sir.” I leaned against Cassie’s desk as Mr. Hollington walked toward me.

“Good. I have already made reservations. We should leave now.” Jacob’s head popped up from looking down at whatever was on his desk. His sudden movement caught my eye. I could tell he was wanting to know what Mr. Hollington and I was doing.

“Mr. Hollington, Mr. Leslies’ secretary asked me to inform you that he does not wish to have Jessica anymore because she is too chatty?” I made sure to make it sound like a question. “He said if you still wish to have his business that you will send someone else.” Mr. Hollington paused in his tracks. He looked almost scared…or mad. I’m not sure which one.

“Is that all that she said to you?” I noticed his fists clenching. Oh crap, I made him mad again.

“Yes sir. If you are asking whether or not she let it slip about what kind of business you are running here, then the answer is no. I am still in the dark, Mr. Hollington.” Cassie snorted behind me at what I had just said.