vii. to be downright cheerful.

𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚢,

𝐈𝐕𝐘 𝐄𝐍𝐉𝐎𝐘𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 in her mother's tiny blue car, enjoyed the time they spent when it was just the two of them. catherine peterson being only eighteen years ivy's senior, they got along remarkably well, sharing more inner characteristics than catherine probably did with her other children. and though the woman had become more responsible for the family of daughters she was raising singlehandedly, ivy was a mirror image of the older woman in her younger, more rebellious years.

"i've got to ask you something, i've been wondering for too long," ivy's mother informed her from the driver's seat, a sneaky smile plastered onto her face. the woman's beauty had hardly faded over the years, her pale skin and reddish-blonde hair shining fantastically. ivy sometimes wished she looked more like her mother and knew gwen felt the same, but instead the twins took after their useless, itinerant father in terms of physicalities.. consistently black-haired and bronze-skinned.

ivy's eyes darted from catherine's side-profile to the windshield, her good mood being nearly palpable. "this'll be interesting," ivy said, perfectly monotone, though she was downright cheerful.

catherine turned the wheel lightly, pulling into the parking lot of the supermarket closest to their home. "forgive me, darling, but your sisters have been gossiping about the boy you hang around with and i was curious!" ivy was silent until they exited the car and headed into the store.

that was interesting, indeed. the trouble was that ivy had no idea what boy her mother was referring to. squinting carefully, she decided on playing it safe and saying, "just friends." she grabbed a trolley and pushed it lightly through the store. "you're fishing for something to gossip about."

catherine led ivy toward the frozen aisle. "you're so right. but we've all noticed that you're always at the neighbor's house, every day for the past two weeks. only friends seems suspicious, yeah?" ivy chuckled quietly. "oh, dear ivy. at least tell me his name?" catherine asked grinningly, with the same teasing smile that ivy first displayed to paul on moving day.

the neighbor's house, so her mother was meaning paul. ivy shrugged upon the realization, "his name is paul. but he doesn't know how to have a good time, and he's dull! boring, really! and we couldn't be more different. i want ice cream." she pointed to the ice cream.

catherine surrendered the topic, having gotten her answer. she picked four different vats of ice cream from the side of the aisle and tossed them routinely into the trolley. "alright, i'm only messing with you," she grabbed another tub of ice cream from the aisle, looking questioningly to ivy.

ivy nodded her head and catherine agreed silently, placing more ice cream in the trolley. but ivy's mind was now stuck on the boy next door. she hadn't been lying- paul was boring, frankly, but she couldn't help thinking that he was also quite gentle, and nice.

𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝚜𝚕𝚘𝚠 𝐢𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧.