xvii. tales of the sea

Começar do início

As the two left, Frodo, Aragorn, and Legolas were left to stare after them and keep their belongings safe. "Do you think she was telling the truth?" Legolas asks.

Aragorn looks at him.

"She wasn't lying," Frodo answers instead, "I would know if she was."

They both look at him curiously. "How so?"

"She has a tell," grins Frodo. "Don't tell her I told you or she'll shave my head," he adds with a forceful tone, clearly heeding Vera's threats seriously.

"What's a tell?" Legolas frowns.

"It's a sort of way of deciphering whether someone is lying or not. Many have it, many don't. Vera has the unfortunate ability to make sure people know when she is lying by a certain move of hers, which is how Frodo knows she isn't," Aragorn explains. "What's her tell?"

Frodo takes a moment to consider his options. If he didn't tell the two, Vera would safely go about without worrying about who she lies to and shaving anyone's heads. However, if he did tell them, he could be facing a hairless head and a punishment worse than death, along with the promise of Legolas and Aragorn using the tell against her. He chooses the better option.

"Alright, but you can't tell anyone else."

Vera and Gandalf travel through the forest in search for more wood, keeping quiet for most of the time. Vera takes the responsibility of bending down to actually grab the wood as she didn't want Gandalf to have to do it for her when she is fully capable of doing so. He doesn't argue, but only offers to help her carry the branches.

Suddenly, Gandalf starts to talk. Vera takes a moment to realize that this is her first time having an alone conversation with the man after days of no bonding and calms her nervous heart. "I knew your Mother, you know."

Whirling around to face the wizard, she stares at him inquisitively. "Really?" There is no sarcasm in her tone.

"Oh, yes. She was an old friend of mine," he explains. "I met her through a common friend we had on land. Charming man, he was. You remind me of him, actually."

Vera bitterly sighs. Why the hell do I always remind someone of someone? Goddamn. "Well, mother says I remind her of my father, Lord Elrond says I remind him of Lady Celebrían, and Eru knows who else I remind who of but I'll make sure to keep a list."

Gandalf hums amusedly at her comment, raising an eyebrow at her first sentence but appearing calm at the outside. "So I've heard. Your Mother and I haven't talked ever since she retreated into the water. When she was about your age, she also sought and desired for adventure, wanting to get out of her prison as much as you."

Vera stops and frowns. "She never mentioned that. She never says anything about her past, really," she dismisses, moving forward to grab another few sticks and piling them on Gandalf's arms.

"Eventually, she found what she wanted," Gandalf continues, "she found adventure, she found friends, and she found a companion to share it with her."

"A companion?" Vera's voice pitches.

"Indeed," Gandalf tells, "he was a good friend of hers, stuck by her side through thick and thin, though, he wasn't so supportive of her forced marriage with her husband."

"My father," names Vera with a sulk.

Gandalf doesn't say anything about her comment but continues thoughtfully, "It wasn't long until he was found by orcs and killed ruthlessly. I'm afraid your Mother never moved on after that, sticking to her grief."