xvii. tales of the sea

Start from the beginning

Receiving stares from her friends in wonder, amazement, and disbelief, she merely forces a smile on her face and towards the people before her. She didn't mean to say so much or to cause them to a state of silence, never believing that her words could lead them to a place where they didn't say a word.

"Can you do magic?" Pippin finally asks, studying her thoughtfully.

Vera nods.

"Wicked," he and Merry grin, turning their full-on attention to Vera. "May we ask questions?"

Vera hesitates. "Well, seeing as we have all night, I don't suppose why not. You all are welcomed to start off, though I'm not entirely sure what you'd ask considering I've said everything." She motions for Pippin and Merry to ask their inquiry, finding herself relieved that two didn't hate her after keeping the secret from them.

"So, back to my very important question, can you see air? Because—"

"Next!"

"I'll go!" Merry cheers, giving his cousin a playful look before asking, "Can you see the water when you're under—"

"Oh, for Ulmo's sake." Vera exhales sharply, giving the two glares at their stupid questions but finding herself rather amused by their questions and thankful for their attempt of keeping the topic light and her nerves at ease. "Does anyone have any serious questions? One that does not pertain to what I can see or not."

Merry and Pippin huff grumpily at the answer she gives them but doesn't bother arguing back with the stubborn mermaid.

"What's your kingdom like?" Legolas asks this time, genuinely curious about the palace in which Vera grew up in. The girl smiles at the question, giving Legolas a delighted grin. It caught him off-guard, for a moment, never even thinking of Vera giving him a smile. He suddenly finds himself yearning to make her smile at him so prettily like that.

"Well," Vera starts with a beam. "It's...truly wonderful. It's made of gold — hence the name 'Golden Kingdom' and 'City of Gold' and it stretches on for miles with no end. The ocean is endless, so it's only natural that the Kingdom that lies beneath it is larger in comparison to your castles." She doesn't miss the glint in Gimli's eyes at the mention of gold.

And that is how Vera spends the rest of the night; telling her friends stories of her home and the ocean below them, as well as giving them subtle hints about her tail and her magic. She could only wish to show them what her kingdom looked like but never lingered on the sadness of them never experiencing the ocean like she could on land.

It is rather unfair but after much assurance from the Hobbits that they'll be fine, Vera dismisses the topic. Soon, the fire begins to grow dimmer and many of the members soon drift off to sleep. Legolas has taken the second watch while Gimli, Boromir, Sam, and the two mischief-making Hobbits drifted away to sleep, rather begrudgingly. Vera had just finished her tale about sirens and other mythical beasts before the feel of Pippin laying his head on her lap as he slept comfortably rests upon her.

"They're exhausted," Aragorn notes, motioning to the sleeping members.

"Yes, well, hours of explaining things may give them that as a result," Vera jokes. "And, walking for six days straight is rather tiring. I'll get more wood for the fire, and I'm off to bed," she announces, carefully placing the Hobbit on the cloth in front of them to keep him warm and comfortable before dusting her dress and making her way to the forest.

"I'll come with you, Lady Vera," Gandalf's voice calls out, urging Vera to stop so that the man could reach her in time and they could continue on to grab wood for the fire.