Chapter 24

Lark: 

As I open my eyes I hear someone talking to me. In hushed whispers.

"Lark? Are you okay Lark?" A voice whispers.

I look over to the side of me and Chasity is sitting next to me. I take in my surroundings. I am laying on dirt and the walls are stone. It's like I'm in some sort of cave. Chasity is looking at me with her worried blue eyes. Her dress is torn on the side and there are little cuts on her face.

"Where are we?"

She smiles and touches my shoulder. "We are safe Lark. Tyson and Faith can't hurt us anymore."

What the hell is she talking about?

"But they never even tried to hurt me. Chasity we need to get out of here. I have a bad feeling that Suzette is in trouble."

I try to shrug her hand off of my shoulder and it falls off like leaves. Her face grows hard and she makes a low growling noise in the back of her throat. What is wrong with her?

"You can't leave." She snaps.

"Why?"

"You just can't."

"God Chasity I need to find Suzette and you keeping me captive is not helping my case here so let me go." I get up and run a hand through my hair .

"They might come back for me and what if they hurt me Lark. I don't want them to hurt me." She starts to shake.

I grab her by the shoulders and wrap my arms around her. Now she's crying. I wish I could do more for her but I can't betray Suzette. I'm not meant to be with Chasity but right now I could comfort her.

I don't know how long we sit there but I start to doze off. I hear my name being called but it's probably just my mind playing tricks on me. I get flashes of something in my mind. Suzette falling. Suzette with Porter and Marin. And then Kendall out cold on the ground barely breathing.

What does that even mean. Is Suzette going to die? Is she with Porter and Marin? Is Kendall around here somewhere?

Chasity is asleep and she's snoring softly.

I take my arms off of her and silently get up from where we were laying on the floor. I needed to get out of here. Faith told me Suzette was in danger and then she didn't tell me what she was in danger of. I glance back at Chasity and she is still asleep. I hear her soft breaths echoing through the cave.

I look towards the many tunnels that I could take and I choose the one on the left. I try to walk as softly as I can but the cave echos so it doesn't go quite as well as I planned. The tunnel takes a sharp turn and there is a girl laying on the ground. Her dark hair is covering her face but I know exactly who it is. I rush to her and brush her hair out of her face.

"Kendall." I whisper while trying to shake her awake.

She groans and then her eyes open to a squint. She looks up at me and her green eyes are glassed over. Kendall throws her arms around me. I am taken back but then I wrap my arms around her.

"Kendall we have to get out of here." I unravel my arms from her and then she gets up with me.

Her arms and legs are so skinny. It's like she was being starved to death. I check my pockets to see if I have anything. I pull something out and it's a peppermint. I touch her shoulder and then hold it out to her.

She smiles and takes it.

"Thanks." She mumbles.

We start off in the direction that I came to get her and choose a different path.I start to walk in the right tunnel but Kendall stops me.