Chapter 12

Lark:
I wake up the next morning. It's Thursday and tomorrow is prom. I get up and get ready for school. On my way out the door I grab a piece of toast laying on the plate on the kitchen counter. When I get to the bus stop Suzette isn't there. More kids start to come and Suzette still isn't here. I feel my hands start to shake with worry. Finally the bus arrives and Suzette isn't here. I feel the urge to run to her house and see if she's there but Porter grabs me by the arm. He pulls me into the bus and we sit in the front row.
"Hey man are you excited about prom tomorrow?" Porter asks?
"Yeah I guess. I'm going with Chasity."
"I know."
"Who did you vote for to win prom king and queen?" I ask him?
"You and Suzette." He says.
His words knock the air out of my lungs. He apparently sees me freaking out.
"The guys and I begged Student Council to put her on the ballot and surprisingly they did." He says.
"Why would you do that?" I ask?
"Come on Lark. I've known you since 5th grade and I can tell when your in love with a girl." He says.
"I'm not in love with her." I lie.
Even though it's true. I do love Suzette but I didn't want Porter to know. If Suze knew that I was telling people that I loved her she might feel embarrassed or worse she might get mad at me.
"Okay fine then lie to me. But when you and her get together you will be getting a I told you so from me." He says.
I just glare at him.
I look down at my phone and I see a text from Suze.
Suzette: Moms taking me to school. Don't worry.
I haven't seen Suzette's mom in about 14 years. Suzette hasn't seen her mom about the same time I haven't. I wonder why she just randomly showed up now.
The bus finally pulls up to the school. I walk with Porter all the way to the door until someone grabs my arm. Porter walks in the door, not noticing that I'm not beside him. I turn to see a girl with raven black hair and blue eyes. I instantly recognize her as Faith, Chasity's sister. She pulls me far away until we're out of sight. I jerk my hand out of her grip. She glares at me and a boy appears behind her. He has startling green eyes and his hair is almost black. His eyes are serious and his arms are crossed over his chest.
"What do you want?" I ask?
"Your dating Chasity right?" Faith asks me?
"No we are just going to prom together." I say.
"Oh ok then. But I want to surprise my sister because tomorrow is her birthday if you didn't know." She says.
"Wait I didn't know tomorrow is Chasity's birthday." I say.
"Well it is and I want you too help me." She says.
"What do you want me to do?" I ask?
"You need to lure her out into the woods because when we were little we used to go camping and look up at the stars with our dad." She says.
"Ok?" I say.
"So will you do it?" Faith pleads.
"Uh yeah I will but I get to tell Suzette about it too." I say.
"Who's Suzette?" The guy next to Faith asks?
"My friend and Chasity's friend." I say.
"Faith you didn't say anything about a girl." The guy says.
"I didn't know Tyson." She says.
"You know what we have to do now." He says.
"Let's talk about this later. Bye Lark." Faith says. Her and Tyson walk away. What did that Tyson guy mean by you know what we have to do now? I decide to go back to school and go to class. I finally noticed that Chasity never told me about her birthday. Now I'm even more anxious for prom.