Chapter 9

Suzette:
When the bus finally pulled into the school, I rushed off to find Chasity. I wasn't going to tell her about the kiss. All I was going to tell her is that Lark had agreed to go with her. And honestly I don't know if I want to be with Lark.
I see Chasity sitting on the brick wall, drawing on her wrists with a black sharpie. I walk over and sit down right next to her. She jumps in surprise, her blue eyes wide.
"Guess what!" I say.
"What!" Chasity asks?
"Oh come on it's not fun if you don't guess!" I say trying to be a little more enthusiastic.
"Did you get Lark to go to prom with me?" She says.
"Would I be the best friend ever if I said yes!"
Chasity's eyes widen even more and she squeals with excitement.
"Oh god I love you Suzette!" She says as she pulls me in for a hug.
I feel a twinge of guilt because I know her fantasy might not last for very long.
"He'll ask you after school." I say.
"Thank you so much Suzette. Honestly I just want my prom to be perfect. The last prom I went to didn't end well. My best friend died that night."
"How?" I say.
She raises an eyebrow as if she expected me to say "I'm sorry." But I know how it feels when someone you love dies.
"She was murdered and they found her body in a supply closet at the school." She says.
I touch her hand and say "Come on let's get to class and maybe after school we can find some shoes to match your dress."

It's the end of the day and Chasity and I walk out of the school. I see Lark laughing with his friends and then he turns and his eyes meet mine. I smile and he smiles back.
We stay like that for a while until Chasity taps my shoulder and breaks the spell.
"Is he going to ask me or what?" She says?
"Uh yeah." I say.
Lark raises an eyebrow as if to say "Now?"
I shake my head yes in return. He looks away from me and he tells his friends bye. I look away as I see him walk toward us. Chasity is practically dying from excitement. Lark finally gets up to where we are standing and he runs his hands through his blonde hair. He always does that when he's nervous. "So Chasity I was wondering if you wanted to go to prom with me. I mean if you don't want to then I mea-" he says as Chasity interrupts him.
"Yes. How about we go out right now?" She says.
"Yeah sure." Chasity grabs his hand and they start to walk away.
He turns around and his eyes meet mine. I smile at him and then walk away. I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces.
I missed the bus and so now I'm forced to walk home. As I start to walk home it begins to rain. I pull my hood up over my head and put my hands in my pocket. I make my way up the walkway to my house. I feel my heart quicken.
I rush inside my house and lock the door. I punch my hand against the wall and start to cry.
"Why is this happening to me?" I scream.
My head snaps up as I hear a knock on the door.
"Leave me alone!" I scream at the door.
"Suzette." The voice outside the door says.
I know it's not Lark. I feel my heart lurch. I run to the door and I look into the brown eyes of my mother. My eyes fill with tears and she pulls me into a hug.
"Mom!" I whisper over and over again.
She pets my hair. But then I realize she's never been here and she always leaves me alone. I push her back. And her eyes reflect hurt. But she doesn't deserve to feel hurt.
"You don't get to touch me. You don't get to be my mother anymore." I spat at her.
"Suzette I'm sorry and I got fired from my job. It doesn't excuse what I did but I still love you." She says as her lips curve up into a smile.
I cross my arms over my chest and frown.
"Lark will be here soon. Are you planning on actually staying?" I ask?
"Yes. Are you and Lark together honey." She asks?
"No we are not." I say.
She raises an eyebrow in disbelief and walks past me inside the house. I feel like crying but I don't. I continue to stare out the door. But then when I see a flash of black in the trees I shut the door and lock it. Why won't this person leave me alone? I sigh and walk up to my room. I lay on my bed and let my eyes close, dreaming of the dad I never knew.