Season 4: Episode 3

Start from the beginning

"Yes ma'am."

"And you definitely don't have to call me ma'am," I joked.

The tour finished up and I brought him back to the front where I would let Ty give him a quick rundown. He and Mia had really stepped up since Jade's departure and I was proud of them. They were my top bartenders, but I had a feeling Dane was about to give them a run for their money.

That's when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I retrieved it to see a text from Megan.

Megan: Finally home. I hope you're not too tired when you get off work. I'd like to run something by you.

I typed back quickly.

Sam: Of course, babe. I'll try my best, but we might be real busy tonight.

The night proceeded and, as predicted, we were busy. The band tonight was great and apparently popular. I assumed it had to do with the fact that they formed right here in Tampa.

Dane surpassed the high expectations I had already set for him by mid-shift. He remembered where everything was, didn't ask questions when the bartenders asked something of him, and even deescalated a possible conflict. Part of me wondered why he remained bartending when he was clearly capable of handling a lot more responsibility.

Eventually I was locking the front door and Crossroads was closed for the night. The bartenders and servers continued cleaning up after the busy night and Dane had already gotten friendly with every single one of his coworkers. He was a force, that was for sure. I determined he would fit in extremely well.

After doing check-outs, each bartender handed him a twenty-dollar bill.

Ty slapped his back. "I love this dude.

Dane just laughed.

"So, how did you like it?" I wondered. "It seems like everyone else was super glad you were here."

"Everyone's really nice." He followed me out the back door and watched me lock up. "It has a very familial vibe, you know?"

I had that thought often but had never told anyone that. It was true, everyone at Crossroads kind of looked out for each other, plus we hang out often. Dane seemed pleased with the energy we had showed him tonight.

"Do you have a ride?" I wondered.

"Cars wacked out right now at the house," he revealed. "I got a lift here."

"I can give you a ride if you want?"

"I live over the bridge."

I gave him a friendly smile. "I do too. C'mon."

He followed me over to my car and nearly fell over when he put two-and-two together.

"Wait, this is your ride?" he beamed while a strong hand glided over the hood.

"Yeah." We climbed inside. "It used to be my grandfathers, then my fathers, and now it's mine."

"My father had a '70 Chevelle," he boasted as we started on the road. "I miss that car."

"What happened to it?" I asked.

"I wrecked that son of a bitch."

The way he said it... I didn't want to assume anything, but he didn't sound sad about it. He almost sounded... proud.

"That's unfortunate."

"I guess." Dane stared out the window. "My father was more upset about the car than my hospital bills."